Council closes College Street for Big Event

A representative from the SGA made an announcement about the Big Event during Tuesday night's City Council meeting.

The Big Event, which includes community service-based projects, will begin Saturday at 8 a.m.

Since it is taking place Saturday morning, the City council agreed to close College Street, in between Magnolia Avenue and Thach Avenue, for the event.

The SGA will be holding a blood drive Feb. 17 and 18 in the ballroom on the third floor of the Student Center. Appointments for donating can be made on the University Web site.

Campaigns for SGA executive elections will begin Feb. 10. Elections will be Feb. 14 to 18.

Store 17 Package, Archie's Oysters and Tiger Food Mart were granted alcoholic beverage licenses.

The possibility of having a farmer's market downtown during the summer was discussed.

Kyle Hildreth, water distribution manager for the Water Resource Management Department, was declared Employee of the Month for Auburn.

Mayor Bill Ham read a letter to the city manager explaining why Hildreth deserved this honor. Ham said that, in addition to managing daily activities, Hildreth also continually seeks opportunity for improvement.

Teacher of the Year honorees for Auburn City schools were recognized for their work.

Phil Wilson was named the elementary school teacher of the year and Deanna Marshall was the secondary education teacher of the year.

Ham said the council is proud and appreciative of the teachers' hard work.

Service pins were given out to individuals who worked for the city.

Brad Bass was awarded with a pin and plaque for working with the judicial department for 20 years.

Jason Brown and Neil C. Godfrey received pins for their 10 years of service.

Forrest E. Cotton, Amos Lockhart and Brenda H. McManus each received a pin for their five years of service.

The Read Across Auburn campaign was announced to be Feb. 15 through March 12. This is a community-wide event meant to encourage reading for leisure.

Ham discussed the importance of reading and the positive impact it has on people.

Auburn's Downtown Merchants Association has created a Facebook fan page celebrating downtown.

The page's title is Downtown Auburn, Alabama.

In the short time that it has been up, it has gotten more than 2,800 fans.

Local events are posted on the page.

Ham said the City council is partnering with Auburn University's School of Architecture to do planning for downtown.

Share and discuss “Council closes College Street for Big Event” on social media.