Fletcher leads team on and off the field

Two years ago, Starrs Mill High School in Fayetteville, Ga., said goodbye to Brian Fletcher, and the Auburn Baseball team welcomed him with open arms. As a sophomore, Fletcher was Auburn's starting left fielder in 55 games. This year, Fletcher is leading the team with his skills in the outfield and at the plate.

"A lot of things brought me to Auburn," Fletcher said. "I visited and I loved the atmosphere. I bonded with the past head coach, and he told me what a great place and environment it was. He said I could also start playing as soon as I came." Two weeks into his junior year, Fletcher managed to lead the SEC in runs batted in, home runs and total bases. He is second in slugging percentages and has the 11th highest batting average.

Fletcher was named National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association's National Hitter of the Week March 2. Fletcher was the first Auburn player to be named National Hitter of the Week since 2007.

The NCBWA said Fletcher's 7-for-11 hitting in addition to his three homeruns, one of which was solo, which led to Auburn's win against Boston College Feb. 26, earned him the award. In addition, NCBWA added, Fletcher's performance in Auburn's Missouri game also helped him earn the title. During the game, he had two hits, a double and four RBIs. In his third game versus Florida, Fletcher had two hits, three runs, two walks, a homerun and four RBIs. These three games ultimately resulted in the award. "He's gotten off to a tremendous start," said head coach John Pawlowski. "He likes to hit and be in big situations.

He works hard everyday." Fletcher is not finished, though. He said he is excited to see how the team competes in regionals, super regionals and possibly Omaha. "I'm anxious to see how far we can actually go," Fletcher said. "I'm looking forward to the SEC tournament, and every team's dream is to go to Omaha."

With improvements to the field and scouts coming to the games to scope out the players, Fletcher said he believes the team is on the right track, and he said he likes how the team comes to games ready to compete.

Fletcher's performance during games is not the only attribute he offers to his team.

Pawlowski said on the field leaders are needed in different capacities and Fletcher serves the team in a special way.

"He keeps the team loose," said Pawlowski. "It's important that the team stays light and loose and Brian has a way of doing that. He has a unique leadership style. He keeps things fun for the team, which is important."

Pawlowski said Fletcher has baseball in his genes. His father played with Pawlowski for a short time in the major leagues.

"His dad was very good at baseball," Pawlowski said. "This comes out in Brian."

Auburn plays at Arizona State Friday, 6:30 p.m.

The Tigers host Alabama A & M, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Share and discuss “Fletcher leads team on and off the field” on social media.