Men's Tennis Struggles in First SEC Home Match

Andreas Miles returns a serve from Matt Brewer of Tennessee. Rod Guajardo/ MANAGING EDITOR

The No. 56 Auburn Men's Tennis team fell to No. 2 Tennessee 7-0 in its first SEC home match of the year.

The loss drops the Tigers to 3-5 for the season as Tennessee moves up to 12-1.

Head coach Eric Shore felt his team competed well in doubles, but did not have enough energy to compete in the singles matches.

"I thought that we made them look like the No. 2 team in the country," Shore said. "We're capable of a lot more than that. We made them look extremely good today."

The No. 7 doubles team of junior Tim Puetz and sophomore Alex Stamchev took down the No. 2 team of senior Davey Sandgren and junior John-Patrick Smith, 8-2.

"I think we played pretty well," Puetz said. "I think we got on top of them early and stayed on top of them the entire match."

Stamchev felt he played well in doubles, but didn't feel his team competed up to par in the singles matches.

"We were just really out of energy," Stamchev said. " We should have had more energy. It's just embarrassing."

Shore hopes his Tigers can regroup before Sunday's match against No. 11 Georgia.

"Hopefully were going to come out with some more energy," Shore said, "because we sure didn't in singles today."

Sunday's match time is set for 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.

Share and discuss “Men's Tennis Struggles in First SEC Home Match” on social media.