Watch shows in 'record' speed

Missing a favorite television show is not a problem today thanks to DVRs or digital video recorders.

Britney Kelley, senior in psychology, said she uses her DVR everyday.

"My favorite thing about DVR is that my life doesn't have to stop just so I don't miss my favorite TV show," Kelley said. "I can just record them and go on with my life and watch them at my leisure."

According to "Don't miss a thing; Recorder Icon Buyers' Guide," these devices use a hard disk instead of the large videos used with VCRs.

Television shows are stored on the disk in digital format so there is little or no degradation of quality.

Ric Smith, professor in radio, television and film, said he has subscribed to TiVo for several years.

Smith said the DVR is playing a role in television evolution. The DVR has changed advertising during television shows, and product placement is currently replacing the regular recorded commercials because of the fastforward feature.

The digital format of the DVR is also able to be rewound.

Joey Blicker, senior in engineering, said he recently quit subscribing to DVR, but he used his to watch reruns of different sports.

"If I missed a good play, I could always just rewind and watch it again," Blicker said.

Kelley said she prefers the fast-forward function because she can use it during commercials, spending less time in front of the television.

"I don't think I watch more TV because of DVR," Kelley said. "I actually probably watch less. I don't ever have to watch commercials, so I rarely watch television live now because I have gotten so spoiled."

Smith said DVR usage can be too much when consumers record every show and end up watching more television than they normally would.

"DVR use can go overboard if it interferes with your daily life," Kelley said. "I'm a psych major and that's what we use to distinguish an addiction."

Blicker said he does not think digital recording can become an addiction.

Kelley said she feels the only negative with her DVR is it inhibits her knowledge of current events.

"I rarely watch television live," Smith said. "Dramas and sitcoms I record. Sports are about the only thing I watch live."

One of the newest additions to DVR features is the live pause according to "Don't miss a thing; Recorder Icon Buyers' Guide."

This feature allows live TV to be paused if the viewer receives a phone call or interruption.

"The pause is great if you don't want to miss an important part of the show because of a phone call or something," Kelley said. "I also like to use it while I study so I have background noise."

Share and discuss “Watch shows in 'record' speed” on social media.