A-Day showcases new players, reserves

It was a hot day on The Plains as the Auburn football team walked through the tunnel of Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"I thought it was a productive day," said coach Gene Chizik. "We had good reps on both sides of the ball and tried to stay vanilla today."

The game was set up on a two-half system.

"It was designed to be a fairly quick game," Chizik said.

The first half had the team split into two, pitting Auburn Blue against Auburn White.

The second half had the Auburn offense against the Auburn defense.

Most eyes were on the quarterback position as former Tigers quarterback Chris Todd graduated.

"What we were going to do was rotate our quarterbacks accordingly; however that unfolded, it unfolded," Chizik said.

Senior quarterback Neil Caudle started the game for Auburn White.

In the second quarter, Caudle hooked up with junior wide receiver Quindarius Carr on a 70-yard pass for the Auburn White touchdown.

Junior quarterback Cameron Newton made his first appearance in the first quarter, for Auburn Blue, to the tune of a large ovation.

Newton took Auburn White down the field in the second quarter, highlighted by a 61-yard pass to Carr and ending on a 22-yard field goal miss by junior kicker Chandler Brooks.

Sophomore quarterback Barrett Trotter took over for Auburn White on its second drive.

Trotter was the first quarterback of the spring to throw a touchdown pass, hooking up with junior wide receiver Nathan Taylor for 50 yards.

Everybody was out today, including new Auburn Men's Basketball head coach Tony Barbee and the Auburn football All-Decade team for 2000-2009.

"I'm so proud of our All-Decade team," Chizik said. "They chose to be in Auburn, and I think that speaks volumes about how they feel about this place."

Share and discuss “A-Day showcases new players, reserves” on social media.