Kappa Kappa Psi Hosts Live, Laugh, Run

Runners braved the bad weather at Kappa Kappa Psi's Live, Laugh, Run 5K and Fun Run Saturday morning.

The event began on the Concourse as 157 people ran in memory of Sarah Anderson, Auburn student and band member.

"I could not have asked for a better turnout, especially on a rainy day," said Katherine Buck, sophomore in communications and member of KKPsi.

Kappa Kappa Psi is the national honorary band fraternity, of which Anderson was a brother. Anderson was killed in a tragic car accident in November 2009.

"Sarah was the best person you could ever meet," Buck.

Most people ran the 5K in less than an hour.

The fun run was added for anyone who didn't think they could complete a 5K, but still wanted to participate, Buck said.

Awards were given to the first three men and three women to finish the race.

Jeremy Winter led the men with a time of 15 minutes 55 seconds, with Sean McNichols and Drew Williams placing second and third, respectively.

Jade Currid took first place for women, finishing in 22 minutes and 28 seconds.

Shannon Donelson and Sarah Tam were also awarded for their times.

Daniel Johnson, sophomore in biomedical studies and drum major in the band, was the first member of the band fraternity to complete the 5K, and placed sixth overall. He finished in 19 minutes 45 seconds.

"I wanted to help and donate however I could," Johnson said.

Johnson said he remembers the positive attitude Anderson always had at band practice.

"Every time I saw her, she had a huge smile on her face," Johnson said.

Ande Sumner, grad student in kinesiology and honorary brother of KKPsi, said she has a unique relationship to Anderson.

"She is my RAT granddaughter," said the French horn player.

Each year in the band family, a RAT, or Rookie Auburn Tiger, is paired with an upperclassman.

They become rat moms and rat dads to their partners, introducing them to the campus and college life.

"The program provides you with one person to become close with," Sumner said.

Sumner said that family ties aside, anyone came across Anderson became an instant friend to her, which made her unique.

"Sarah is truly one of those people you don't experience very often," Sumner said.

Sumner finished the 5K in 28 minutes and said it was a pleasure to do so in Anderson's memory.

KKPsi worked with the Anderson family and the music department to establish a scholarship in her memory. The scholarship will be given to one band member each year, Buck said.

Proceeds from Saturday's Live, Laugh, Run 5K went to the Sarah Darrelle Anderson Memorial Scholarship.

Share and discuss “Kappa Kappa Psi Hosts Live, Laugh, Run” on social media.