QBs Focus on Auburn A-Day

Weather conditions were set and Auburn was once again ready for its annual A-Day game along with a record setting crowd of 63,217, which watched Blue beat White 21-17.

"We had a phenomenal crowd out there today," said coach Gene Chizik. "I just had to take my hat off to our fan base--incredible today. That was awesome and our kids loved it. They just showed their true Auburn pride today, and that's what the Auburn family is out."

The game consisted of a two-half system. The first half consisted of a scrimmage between Blue and White, while the second half was between the offense and the defense.

All the points scored in the third quarter would go towards the White team and all points scored in the fourth would go to the Blue team.

Senior quarterback Neil Caudle started the game for White and went 2-2 on the first three plays from scrimmage.

Caudle finished the game completing 17-of-21 passes for 199 yards and a 70-yard touchdown pass to junior receiver and offensive MVP Quindarius Carr.

"I think I played well today," Carr said. "I'm still learning the system, and I want to do whatever I need to do to help my team win."

Both Chizik and Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn both emphasized not reading into the order of the quarterback rotation, how many snaps each quarterback took and that nobody took the lead in the race.

"What we were going to do was rotate our quarterback accordingly; however that unfolded, it unfolded, " Chizik said. "Some guys threw more than others. Don't read anything into that."

Junior quarterback Cameron Newton completed 3-of-8 passes for 80 yards including a 61 yard bomb to Carr with 10:51 left in the first half.

"It felt good to be out there with the crowd watching," Newton said. "We played really well today and played with a lot of consistency."

Other quarterback contenders included Barrett Trotter completing 7-of-9 passes for 154 yards and redshirt freshman Clint Moseley who completed 10-of-12 passes for 55 yards.

"I felt like the offense did great," Trotter said. "I think I had a pretty good day. There are still a lot of things for us to improve on before the season, but I think we are moving in the right direction."

Defensive MVP was senior defensive end Antoine Carter. Carter had a total of five tackles including 3.5 for a loss of yardage and 2.5 quarterback sacks.

"We can still improve all around," Carter said. "We haven't arrived yet, and we want to keep working every day. Our workouts start next week. It is all about going to work consistently so we can win a championship at the end."

Special teams player of the game was senior kicker Wes Byrum who kicked a 50-yard field goal with 6:09 left in the third after Chandler Brooks missed a 22-yard attempt in the 2nd quarter.

"Spring season went rather well, and I think we got a lot closer as a team," Byrum said. "Everybody is doing really well, and, overall, the team looks great."

To entertain the crowd at halftime, Auburn fans got the chance to vote for their Auburn All-Decade team which included players from 2000-2009.

The winners were invited back to the University to partake in A-Day festivities.

"Unbelievable," Chizik said. "I'm so proud of our All-Decade team. Our fans loved it. I loved it."

The Tigers will work out in individual groups with coaches and begin full practices for the 2010 season in early August.

Auburn opens up it season against Arkansas State Saturday Sept. 4.

Share and discuss “QBs Focus on Auburn A-Day” on social media.