Soccer Plays Friendlies

This past weekend, Auburn soccer continued its spring season in Orlando.

The Tigers played games against the Mexican National Team and the University of Central Florida, losing the first and tying in the second.

The Mexican National Team defeated Auburn 3-2 in a game that needed a stoppage time goal to determine a winner.

The next day, Auburn played the UCF Golden Knights to a 0-0 draw.

Freshman goalkeeper Amy Howard said the team was proud of its play, but not of the outcome of the games.

"We played well in both games," Howard said. "Unfortunately we didn't get our result for either game."

The Tigers had a two-goal lead going into halftime against the Mexican National Team, but couldn't hold it through the second half.

"One of our goals came off a corner kick from Heather (Havron)," said sophomore defender Julie King. "The people in the box did a good job of getting a foot on it, and it came to me and I put it away."

The Mexican National team capped its comeback with a goal in stoppage time.

"We we're working hard the whole game; we were playing some of the greatest soccer I think we've ever played," Howard said. "We were really unfortunate to give up a goal that late."

King said the defense wasn't happy about giving up the lead, but was thankful it was only spring.

"Hopefully we will figure out what exactly happened there so that kind of thing doesn't happen in the fall," King said.

Against UCF, Howard put up a shutout, but didn't receive any offensive support.

"We tied, but I thought we played well," King said. "UCF is a really good team."

Auburn got a taste of what's to come in the fall, as two signees, Ashley Kotero and Bianca Sierra, were members of the Mexican National Team.

"They both started against us, and you could definitely tell their presence in there," Howard said. "It's really exciting to play against them to see what they can do, because we know that we're going to have that in the fall."

Even though they were spring games and technically off-season, Auburn still went into them with the same determination as it would in the fall.

"Overall it's been a great spring," Howard said. "We're all getting better, our fitness is up, and we're all a lot stronger."

King said the team uses the spring games to get better for fall.

"There are a lot of things that need to be worked on, but overall both games were a good preview of fall," King said.

Share and discuss “Soccer Plays Friendlies” on social media.