Softball Swept, Looks To Learn From Mistakes

Auburn Softball fell in three straight home games against the No. 8 Crimson Tide of Alabama this weekend, 5-1, 9-1 and 10-2.

Auburn dropped to 20-15, 5-9 SEC, while Alabama moved to 27-9, 10-4 SEC.

"Alabama is a great team," said Anna Thompson, senior pitcher for the Tigers. "We have learned a lot from what happened this weekend."

In Friday's game, sophomore Angel Bunner (6-6) took the loss as Alabama capitalized on two homeruns. The Tigers stranded seven baserunners.

In the third inning, with two members of the Tide on base, Bunner intentionally walked Alabama's Charlotte Morgan, loading the bases for Whitney Larsen. Larsen hit a grand slam, giving the Tide a 4-0 lead.

Sophomore pitcher Jenee Loree came in to finish the inning successfully, but gave up a lead-off homerun to Alabama's Jazlyn Lunceford in the sixth.

The Tigers battled back to score in the sixth, when sophomore Amber Harrison doubled with juniors Caitlin Stangl and Kyndall White on base.

Auburn couldn't stir up more offense and lost, 5-1.

In Saturday's double-header, similar offensive problems plagued the Tigers, as they scored three runs to Alabama's 19.

In the first game, Auburn's Thompson (11-6) started, going just 3 2/3 innings and taking the loss for the Tigers.

The Tide took advantage of three Auburn errors to score four runs, while Auburn's White scored the solo run in the game with a home run in the fourth.

White continued her offensive authority Saturday in the second game, knocking the first pitch of the bottom of the first out of the park.

But, the lead didn't last long.

Jenee Loree (2-3) started the game, allowing five runs, all earned, and going 2 2/3 innings before Thompson came in.

Alabama raked in the runs with multiple home runs and hits, driving the deficit to 7-1 in the sixth.

Auburn started to make a late-game rally, taking advantage of a Tide error in the bottom of the sixth to plate a run, but Alabama retired the final batter to finish the game, winning 10-2.

"We understand this past weekend is over," Thompson said. "Now, we just have to take the lessons we learned and move forward."

The Tigers play Tennessee this weekend in a three-game series at Jane B. Moore Field in Auburn. Saturday's doubleheader and Sunday's game both start at 1 p.m.

Thompson said she is optimistic for the rest of the season.

"We have a relatively young team and many of them haven't been in this situation before," Thompson said. "The next few weeks will be a learning experience for us all."

She said she is using the next couple practices to prepare for the rest of the season.

She also said the schedule for the rest of the season will be difficult, but she is confident.

"We have the potential to do very well with the last part of the season," Thompson said. "It is going to take everyone buying into that and working towards the same goal (to win.)"

Share and discuss “Softball Swept, Looks To Learn From Mistakes” on social media.