Tate, McFadden Picked Up In Draft

Two Tiger football players, seniors Ben Tate and Walter McFadden were picked up in the National Football League Draft over the weekend.

Running back Tate was selected on Day Two by the Houston Texans in the second round.

"It was very emotional," Tate said. "When I got the call from Houston, I was very excited and the emotions started running. I'm just happy to be a Texan. It's been a great, great experience, and I want to thank everyone, including the Auburn fans for their support."

Tate was the sixth running back selected and the 58th pick overall.

Tate is fifth all-time at Auburn with 3,321 rushing yards and is tied for sixth all-time with 24 rushing touchdowns.

Defensive back McFadden was the second Auburn player to be drafted in this years draft.

McFadden was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the fifth round Saturday.

"It's a blessing to have the opportunity to get drafted," McFadden said, "especially considering how many people that play college football. I'm just blessed. In a way I was kind of surprised

(being drafted by Oakland), but I'm more happy about going there. It's a dream come true."

McFadden was the 138th overall pick.

The defensive back ties the Auburn record for third for interception returns for touchdown and leaves Auburn with 87 career stops, 26 pass deflections and nine interceptions.

Former Tigers, defensive end Quentin Groves, who was traded to Oakland from the Jacksonville Jaguars earlier this week, and quarterback Jason Campbell, who was traded from the Washington Redskins to Oakland, will be familiar faces for McFadden.

"I feel like having Quentin there will be nice," McFadden said. "Having someone there to help me and to just have a friendship with will help. When I came in as a freshman, Jason was just leaving and I got to know him from when he came back. I'm excited to be there with Jason, too."

Share and discuss “Tate, McFadden Picked Up In Draft” on social media.