Tigers Fall To Tide In Weekend Series

After losing the first two games of the series, the Auburn softball team started off Game Three with a bang. Junior Kyndall White hit a bomb in straight-away center field to put the Tiger's up 1-0 on the first pitch in the bottom of the first inning. But The Tigers couldn't hold the lead for long. The Tide swept them, taking the third game 10-2.

Sophomore pitcher Jenee Loree (2-3) walked the leadoff batter, who moved to third on two infield groundouts. Alabama's Olivia Gibson drove a single to right to put the Tide on the board. In the top of the third, two hits and a walk gave The Tide a 3-1 lead before Alabama's Courtney Conley followed up with a two-run homerun to push the lead to 5-1. Senior Anna Thompson came in for Loree, but, in the top of the fifth, she gave up a bases-loaded walk, helping Alabama tack on another run.

The Tide bumped their lead up to 8-1 in the sixth after a series of walks and hits. With two outs and runner at first, Thompson was lifted for senior Holly Ragsdale. Ragsdale allowed an infield hit before ending the Alabama rally.

In the top of the seventh, Alabama continued their offensive command, taking a 10-1 lead with a two-run homerun.

The Tigers finally took advantage of a Tide throwing error. Sophomore Krista Clyde walked, White singled her to second and junior Caitlin Stangl put down a bunt single. The throw to first was wild, and Clyde was able to score, making the final score 10-2.

On a high note for the Tigers, Thompson threw her 1,000th career strikeout, becoming one of just eight pitchers to reach that milestone.

Auburn dropped the first game of the series by a margin of 5-1 on Friday and the first game on Saturday 9-1.

Auburn fell to 20-15, 5-9 SEC, while Alabama improved to 27-9, 10-4 SEC. The Tigers return to action April 7 at 6 p.m. when they take on the Samford Bulldogs at home.

Share and discuss “Tigers Fall To Tide In Weekend Series” on social media.