Women's Lacrosse Ends Season With Win

The Auburn Women's Lacrosse club (5-6) concluded its season this past weekend with its 18-10 thrashing of the Samford University Bulldogs.

Senior center Liz Boyd said the game didn't have a normal outcome for a women's lacrosse game.

"It was a very high scoring game," Boyd said. "Them scoring three goals in the last minute was unusual, too."

Auburn led during the entire game, mounting a 12-2 lead at halftime.

"It was really fun," Boyd said. "We had very good team morale and everyone was really pumped for the last game."

Samford's eight goals in the second half, including the three in the last minute, weren't enough to pull ahead of the Tigers.

On senior day, however, the team was more concerned with camaraderie.

"We came out excited to be with each other and ended up playing really well together," Boyd said.

Senior defender Meredith Noulis said the team was more focused on itself than its record this season.

"We had a really good season this year," Noulis said. "Our record doesn't show how much fun we had, but that's because we played really hard teams and we had to travel a lot."

Noulis said all the traveling may have been detrimental to the team.

"We only had three home games so that was kinda tough," Noulis said.

Junior home Katie Backer said she was glad to go out on a winning note.

"I loved it." Backer said. "We had a great time. I think we played our hardest and I was really impressed."

All three seniors said they were going to miss lacing up their cleats for Auburn.

"I'm going to miss it a lot," Noulis said. "I love playing here and have made my best friends through the team these past four years."

The seniors also recognized the efforts of the freshmen and how the team is in good hands for the future.

"This was my favorite season," Boyd said. "We had such a great team, our newbies were awesome and everyone meshed really well."

The team did not receive an invitation to play in the Southeastern Women's Lacrosse League tournament and will have to start preparing for next season now.

"I'm a little disappointed," Boyd said. "I thought we could make it, but it just didn't happen this year."

Share and discuss “Women's Lacrosse Ends Season With Win” on social media.