Track and Field Tigers Dash Toward NCAA Championship

Auburn's track and field teams raced toward the finish line as they began competing Thursday in the NCAA East Preliminary Round.

Coach Ralph Spry said the teams had been training all season. "Right now, we're trying to get really, really sharp," he said before the race.

Two of the women's track and field team members were recently recognized by the SEC for their achievements in the sport. Maya Pressley, who has participating on track teams since 2003, was named SEC Freshman Field Athlete of the Year. Pressley tied for ninth in the women's high jump, clearing 1.78 meters, advancing her the NCAA Championships.

"I feel confident about it, and I'm excited," Pressley said.

As for the preliminary round, Pressley said she was looking forward to it and was hoping to go to nationals.

Sheniqua Ferguson was recently named SEC Female Runner of the Year by the SEC. She's been involved in the sport for only five years. To prepare for races, Ferguson said she just relaxes and sleeps.

Spry explained that to be recognized by the SEC is a huge honor.

"The SEC is by far the toughest athletic division in the country," Spry said.

Since the SEC is the toughest division, he explained these awards imply the girls are actually the best in the nation.

Ferguson's recognition proved to be well-deserved as she and another teammate progressed to the quarterfinals of the 100-meter dash. Ferguson won her heat. She also came in second overall with a time of 11.24 seconds.

Sophomore Nivea Smith came in third in her heat and ranked 20th overall with a time of 11.54.

"I'm really pleased with tonight's effort," Spry said about Thursday's competition. "This is a really tough meet - there are 48 of the best kids on this side of the country in each event and only the best 12 move on."

The men's team also had a successful first day of the preliminary round, as three teammates moved on to the quarterfinals.

"For the most part we got our key people through," Spry continued. "I expected a few setbacks, but we had a lot of good things happen, and we just have to come back tomorrow and execute like we did today and give ourselves opportunities to compete two weeks from now."

Sophomore Marcus Rowland dashed to the finish line of the 100 meters in 10.22 and won his heat, coming in third overall. Rowland's season best time was 10.03, the top in the nation.

Junior Michael Dehaven was 13th overall with a time of 10.36. He came in second in his heat. Harry Adams, a redshirt freshman, finished in 10.39, good for third in his heat and 15th overall.

Two members of the men's team advanced to the NCAA Championships in the 10,000 meters.

Sophomore Ben Cheruiyot came in second with a time of 29:44.76.

Senior Elkanah Kibet came in eighth, clocking in at 29:52.43, and Jean-Pierre Weerts finished 27th with a time of 31:47.71.

Share and discuss “Track and Field Tigers Dash Toward NCAA Championship” on social media.