Block Party provides free food and fun

Cartoonist Jeremy Townsend draws a caracature of Kelly Tsaltas, freshman in journalism, at the Block Party in the Student Union on Friday. (Christen Harned/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Vendors lined the second and third floors of the Student Center Friday night during University Program Council's Block Party, enticing students to take interest in their business with promises of coupons, free trinkets and free food.

"It's about advertisement and publicity for the different groups and vendors," said Sarah Early, UPC volunteers director, "but it's also just to welcome everyone back to school."

The event, part of Welcome Week 2010, featured 17 food vendors, inflatable attractions, caricature artists and a concert from the Wayne Mills Band.

The goal of the Block Party is to get new and returning students involved and on campus, said Julianne Willis, UPC vice president.

"It gives freshman something fun to do and informs them about local businesses," she said, "and for returning students, it's just something to look forward to every year."

Caroline McGill, freshman in pre-engineering, attended the event for the free food and to relax after her first week of college classes.

"Classes have been long this week," McGill said. "We're just getting back into things, so I'm looking forward to just getting to chill and see everybody."

For Roman Salery, senior in human resource management, the Block Party is about more than free food.

"As a senior, it brings back old memories and makes me realize how much I've come through at Auburn," Salery said. "It makes me feel more bonded to it."

The Block Party was cosponsored by UPC, Freshman Year Experience, Student Alumni Association, Auburn Ignited and the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs.

Share and discuss “Block Party provides free food and fun” on social media.