Back from California, soccer prepares for Samford

The Auburn soccer team (6-2) finished with one win and one loss in the University of Southern California tournament after playing USC and Cal State Fullerton last weekend in Los Angeles.

USC won when freshman midfielder Haley Boysen made the only goal of the game in overtime.

Head coach Karen Hoppa said although Auburn lost, it was a good game.

In the game against Cal State Fullerton, Auburn won 2-0, thanks in part to junior defender Julie King.

Despite being a defender, King scored in each half to help lead Auburn to victory.

Hoppa and the team agreed the loss to USC added some motivation to play well against Fullerton.

"We knew we had to win this game," said senior defender Sammy Towne.

The Tigers are coming back to Auburn to prepare for their next game against the Samford Bulldogs, who are 6-2-1 this year, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m.

"Samford is a really quality team, and they are a big in-state rivalry for us," Hoppa said.

Last year, the soccer team traveled to Samford to open up its 2009 soccer season.

Even after playing in double overtime, neither team scored, and the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

"Samford is a good team, and it's always a battle with them," King said.

King was given a red card, along with a Samford player, during last year's game.

The red card was issued moments before the end of the first half, and the Auburn team played without King for more than 65 minutes, Hoppa said.

A red card can be given to a player by a referee for two different reasons.

If two yellow cards are given, they equal a red card, and the player is sent off the field.

The referee can also hand out a red card, such as in the case of flagrant fouls, and once given, the player can no longer play in the game, and no substitute is allowed to fill in for her.

With the team down one defender, goalkeeper Amy Howard stepped up.

She was named SEC Freshman of the Week following the opening game.

Hoppa said she was impressed with Howard's work as a freshman in that game.

This year's game will be Auburn's seventh against Samford.

Although Auburn has never lost to Samford, scores for every game have been close.

"With Samford, there's always a lot of emotion involved," Towne said. "It's not really a rivalry, but it's not a really high-scoring game."

Auburn has won five out of six games against Samford, with the tie game in 2009 being the exception.

The Tigers prepare equally for every team, but say there is no special preparation for the game Friday against Samford.

Share and discuss “Back from California, soccer prepares for Samford” on social media.