Soccer Team Beats Cal State Fullerton after Loss to USC

The women's soccer team traveled to Los Angeles this weekend to participate in the USC tournament, attaining one loss and one win.

"We always prepare just like any sport, but the California teams are usually more technical and skilled, and they play a little better than other teams," said head coach Karen Hoppa.

The first game Friday night was against USC and proved to be tough for the team.

"USC is a really good quality team, so it was a good game," Hoppa said.

The team lost when USC freshman Haley Boysen made the only goal of the game in overtime.

"In the end we defended really well, but they got a quality chance and stuck it in," Hoppa said.

The tides changed against Cal State Fullerton when junior defender Julie King made two goals, and Auburn won the game.

"Julie played a great game," Hoppa said. "She's actually a defender, but she's great at attacking and did a great job of capitalizing on that."

King made the only two goals from both teams, one in each half of the game.

"I thought we came out really well after losing Friday," King said. "We really needed this one today, and it really showed what our team is about."

After the loss Friday to USC, the girls were motivated to end with a win.

"Any loss can put a damper on the weekend, and we have to make each game just as important as the last," said senior defender Sammy Towne. "We knew we had to win this game."

Auburn played Florida State Sept. 3, finishing with a 3-0 win.

Hoppa and the team said playing Florida State may have helped them prepare for the California teams.

"Florida State is a high-pressure, high-energy team, and that's what West Coast style is generally like," Towne said.

The team's next game is against Samford, Friday at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Soccer Team Beats Cal State Fullerton after Loss to USC” on social media.