Tony the Tiger's "Battle on the Plains"

"Battle on the Plains" is a three-on-three basketball tournament beginning Oct. 9 that will create an opportunity for the basketball team and the Auburn family to form a more unique bond.

"We want our students to look to the University as a place to turn for events such as these," said head coach Tony Barbee. "As we become established on campus, the students will in turn become more involved in our athletics and come out to support Auburn basketball."

The tournament is three-on-three, half court and will be played outside and inside the new Arena. Each team will be guaranteed four games--three games in a pool play for seeding before the tournament becomes single-game elimination.

The finals will be played in the new Arena opening night, Oct. 15. Trophies and prizes will be awarded that night, though the prizes were unspecified.

All full-time students and employees are eligible.

All teams will receive free T-shirts.

The entry fee for individual teams in the tournament is $25, though it is not being run for profit.

Steve Smith, executive director of men's basketball, said he hopes this event will become annual and will attract fans for games. He said he hopes it will make the Arena one of the best home court advantages in the nation as the team prepares for its season.

"Having our players and coaching staff around and officiating the games will help us connect and form a bond with the student body," Smith said. "Hopefully this will help to generate support in the upcoming season and fill the student section on the floor."

Smith said if any money is raised, it will be donated to charity.

Smith said he is unsure how many teams will participate, but said similar tournaments held on college campuses across the nation have attracted more than 200 teams. Smith said he believes Auburn may have hosted such a tournament in its history, but is not certain.

Smith said the opening of the Arena creates a new era for Auburn basketball.

"There will always be memories of good times in the old Coliseum, but I don't think its closing will decrease fan interest," Smith said. "The new Arena will now begin to make its [own] memories for fans. I think everybody is looking forward to the new arena and what a new arena brings: Better seating, improved game productions, better concessions and sellout crowds."

But an $86 million basketball court is useless if there are no fans to liven it up.

"We need the support of the students," Smith said. "We want to hear what type of experience they are looking for in the Arena. We take our student body needs very seriously."

Auburn men's basketball begins Nov. 3 against West Alabama University at 7 p.m. in the Arena.

Women's basketball begins Nov. 11 against Mercer University at 5 p.m. in the Arena.

Mackenzie Helms, freshman in pre-business, said the tournament is a good way to get students excited for basketball.

"It will be fun to go and experience a basketball game in the new Arena and see the new coaching staff," Helms said.

Share and discuss “Tony the Tiger's "Battle on the Plains"” on social media.