Wiggins fosters campus recreation growth

Pam Wiggins (left to right) teaches her students Laurel Hicks, junior in nutrition and dietetics, and Mackenzie Horsefield, freshman in exercise science, about different rhythm concepts for Group Fitness Instructor Training.

Pam Wiggins, campus recreation group fitness coordinator, wants you to get up and get moving.

It is no secret that college students of all ages are often too preoccupied to make time for physical fitness and wellness, leading to weight gain such as the "Freshman 15."

This is something Wiggins hopes to change.

"If you can't figure out how to balance your life here, you won't do it at any age," Wiggins said. "You will be a USA statistic; 33 percent of us are busy and active, and the rest of us are sitting. Get off the couch now, and try to figure it out."

When Wiggins joined the campus recreation staff three years ago, Auburn offered a total of four group fitness classes.

"We are now at 70 classes in just over two years, so that's pretty enormous," Wiggins said.

Wiggins has been in the fitness industry since 1984.

"We've been able to expand the program significantly with her background and experience," said Bill Jackson, associate director of campus recreation.

As group fitness coordinator, Wiggins teaches classes, ensures classes are running smoothly and trains students and contracted instructors, while still managing to significantly increase the number of group fitness classes offered at the Student Activities Center.

"She's certainly committed to getting as many people as possible involved in exercise," Jackson said.

Wiggins said the increase in classes offered is greatly credited to the number of student instructors.

"We have a lot of talent, really incredible students willing to give their time and energy," Wiggins said.

Wiggins is working on her third training program to increase the number of instructors.

"We now have six that are currently teaching with us who have been trained through our program," Wiggins said. "This semester we'll add nine more to our list of student instructors. Our goal is to have an entire force of student instructors by the time we open our new facilities."

The first class begins at 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday, with the last class starting at 6:15 p.m.

On Fridays, the first class begins at 9 a.m. and the last class at 3 p.m.

The classes currently offered range from boot camp, an intense full-body workout, to Pilates, with a wide assortment of classes in between.

A detailed schedule of class offerings and times can be found at www.auburn.edu under Campus Recreation, Group Fitness.

"I just realized recently by looking online about how many classes are offered," said Kenzie Stephens, senior in psychology. "I don't know why anyone would want a gym membership when we have so many awesome classes available for free."

Development of the new Wellness and Sustainability Center project will begin spring 2011.

The new state-of-the-art facility will provide approximately 240,000 square feet of recreational space in convenient proximity to the Village and central campus.

"By the time we move into the new facility, we hope to have 100 classes," Jackson said.

Wiggins said she believes fitness is the key to having a balanced and healthy life.

"Consistently do something that you like because if you're not going to do it in school, you are not going to pursue it after," she said.

Share and discuss “Wiggins fosters campus recreation growth” on social media.