Clayton brings consistency to defense

Senior defensive lineman Zach Clayton tackles Mississippi State running back Vick Ballard in Auburn's 17-14 win. (Todd Van Emst / Auburn Media Relations)

When he steps out on the field, this giant is anything but gentle.

At 6 feet 3 inches and almost 300 pounds, defensive lineman Zach Clayton is a formidable opponent for any quarterback to face.

Described by teammates and coaches as a "quiet leader," Clayton commands the respect of his peers both on and off the playing field.

"Zach's not a guy who typically says a lot," said defensive coordinator Ted Roof, "but I'll tell you what, he sure does do a lot."

An Opelika native, Clayton has played football since middle school, and in his senior year of high school was named the 2005 Defensive Player of the Year by the Opelika-Auburn News.

"I just started playing football at a really young age and fell in love with it," Clayton said.

Clayton, a fifth-year senior who already earned a degree in finance last spring, is now studying agricultural business and law as his second major.

He picked Auburn, he said, because it was close to home and allowed him to see his family often, while giving him the freedom to be his own person.

Clayton said his greatest accomplishment this season has been staying healthy and avoiding injury.

"I had some problems with injuries last year," Clayton said. "So far this year, I haven't had any problems, knock on wood."

Clayton sat out seven of last season's 13 games because of injuries.

In the six games in which he played last season, he totaled seven tackles, with one tackle for loss (TFL) .

This year has been a different story. Clayton has appeared in every game this season and is ranked 18th in the SEC with six TFL.

Against South Carolina, Clayton recorded one TFL, one QB hurry and two solo tackles.

After college, Clayton said he will give the NFL his best shot. If that doesn't work out, he said, he'll try to find another job.

Defensive end Nosa Eguae, sophomore in public relations, has known Clayton for two years.

Eguae said Clayton has a quiet confidence about him, and they always know what they can expect from him.

"He's a really good guy who works hard," Eguae said. "You can really count on him every day to get his job done."

Clayton said the best thing about playing football this season is the team's chemistry.

"This year, there's something different about the team," Clayton said. "It's just really fun to be a part of."

Roof said the main thing to know about Clayton is he works hard and gives his absolute best every day.

"He's very well-liked, but even more important than that, he's very well-respected," Roof said. "He exemplifies what I believe Auburn is all about."

Share and discuss “Clayton brings consistency to defense” on social media.