Student CEO gets early start

Joey Bacon, senior in entrepreneurship, is founder and CEO of a Web-design company. He has six employees. (Charlie TImberlake / Assistant Photo Editor)

Entrepreneur Joey Bacon says he has been tinkering with computers since he was 10.

Two years ago, Bacon started his own Web-design company, Inferno New Media.

The company also specializes in branding and Internet marketing.

"I've always been an entrepreneur at heart," Bacon said. "I've always wanted to be my own boss."

Bacon said, as a little boy, he began making websites just for fun. He said he enjoyed the design aspect of it the most.

Growing up in Mobile, the first thing Bacon said he designed was a Michigan football fan site.

"I somehow grew up a Michigan fan," Bacon said, "and I used to design wallpapers, websites and uniforms for Michigan."

Bacon continued to work with design and computers for the rest of his childhood.

"Through the years, I just kept making websites. I wanted to make sure I was always staying up-to-date. Technology moves so fast, you've got to keep with it," Bacon said.

When he came to Auburn in 2006, he used the knowledge and skills he had accrued with computers to land a job at a local Web-development firm.

No longer wanting to live paycheck to paycheck, Bacon decided to take the jump and start his own business.

"I've definitely had my ups and downs," Bacon said. "There have been really high points and then very low points."

Bacon said he is glad to have gotten the chance to do and learn so much, so early, before even finishing college.

"I feel like it has put me ahead of the competition," he said.

Bacon said a lot of emphasis has gone into getting the name of his business out there, both regionally and nationally.

"Referral is the No. 1 way of getting new clients," he said.

Inferno has taken off during the past six months, Bacon said.

Bacon's work ethic is well-known.

"He definitely has a very driven personality," said Lee Tapia, senior in horticulture and roommate of Bacon.

Bacon's visionary personality has helped Inferno achieve something that most businesses started in college never realize--success.

"Joey thinks outside the box and is constantly working. He never stops," Tapia said. "Lots of times, he is up at 2 a.m. doing something. Whenever he has free time, he is accomplishing tasks."

Inferno New Media now has six employees, two of whom are Auburn students.

"Inferno is much different from other Web-design companies, especially with Joey running it, because we look to push new technologies," said Nick McCormack, senior in electrical engineering and Inferno employee.

When Bacon graduates in May, he plans to stay in Auburn for a few years and continue to build up his business.

Bacon said he hopes to work for a tech company in California.

"Joey is almost always staying up late, looking for the latest and greatest things," McCormack said. "He is all about the now."

Share and discuss “Student CEO gets early start” on social media.