Fans plan 'Toomer's Tree Hug'

Maria Iampietro / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR

In response to the poisoning of the historic Toomer's Oaks, Auburn fans have planned the "Toomer's Tree Hug," which is scheduled to take place Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. at Toomer's Corner.

"Our tree needs us," states the Facebook page announcing the event. "I know that the University said the fate of the beloved tree is grim, but maybe we can show it and the rest of the nation how much we love not only the tree, but what it stands for, which was so cruelly attacked."

Of concern is whether the tradition of rolling the oaks could worsen their already dire condition.

Ainsley Carry, vice president of Student Affairs, weighed in on the issue Friday in an e-mail sent to students.

"As we learn more about the condition of Toomer's Corner," Carry said, "our faculty experts and landscaping officials strongly recommend we not roll the trees while we assess their health and treat them. It makes recovery chances even more challenging."

In an e-mail to students Friday evening, the University announced it has formed a task force that will bring together experts in horticulture, agronomy, civil enginerring, forestry, chemistry and landscape services in an effort to save the Toomer's Oaks.

The task force has asked fans to refrain from rolling Toomer's Corner and walking in the bedding area because it could cause further damage.

Workers have erected barricades, placed a tarp over the bedding area around the oaks and posted signs stating, "Please do not roll trees."

The e-mail further states that soil removal will begin early next week at which time further testing will take place.

The University has set up a website, www.auburn.edu/oaks, to provide updates on the Toomer's oaks.

Share and discuss “Fans plan 'Toomer's Tree Hug'” on social media.