Williams guides players on their spiritual paths

As a college sophomore, he was kicked off the football team by former coach Pat Dye.

More than 20 years later, he is the team chaplain.

"I was a bad boy," said the Rev. Chette Williams. "I was mean. The night I was kicked off the team, I got a relationship with Christ.

"I went to see Coach Dye the next day, and his words were, 'Let's take it one day at a time.'"

Williams, 47, attends all practices and games.

He also holds Bible studies for the coaching staff Friday mornings and for the whole team the night before a game.

"He's the glue that keeps this team together," said assistant coach Trooper Taylor. "He was really big for us serving as a bridge between the old staff and the new staff when we came in.

"He had a lot of insight on the kids and was able to help the kids adjust to us as a coaching staff."

Williams has served as chaplain since 1999.

"I'm in the Athletic Department where everyone has access to me if they need me, including family members of the Athletic Department," Williams said.

Each season the team has a specific theme that Williams emphasizes in his Bible study. This year's theme was "Going from good to great," chosen by coach Gene Chizik.

"Gene and I are more like brothers," Williams said. "We're the same age, and we have children the same age, so we used to baby-sit each other's kids. Spiritually, he's solid. He's just a brilliant man. He's incredible, and I love him as a Christian brother. It runs deep with us."

Williams said he also has a special relationship with quarterback Cam Newton.

"With Cam, it became very personal as the season went on because we became closer and closer," Williams said. "As the drama grew, we drew closer to each other as we drew closer to God."

Newton and Williams still stay in touch even though the season is finished, Williams said.

"We text each other quite a bit," he said.

Williams is also the campus director for Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

"It's probably the model FCA of the entire country for a college campus in that it's reaching not only the football team, but it's reaching out to all the sports," said John Gibbons, state director of FCA. "Chette is just a great visionary and leader and a very powerful preacher."

Williams grew up in Winston, Ga., as the sixth of seven boys.

He was 12 when he started playing football.

"Growing up I'd seen all my brothers play football," he said. "I was just waiting until I could play."

After playing as a walk-on linebacker and graduating with a degree in adult education, Williams worked at Old Mountain Top Baptist Church in Winston before deciding to attend seminary.

"I just knew there was some theological understanding that I did not have that I wanted," Williams said. "God was speaking to me that he wanted me to study."

Williams attended New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

"I used to minister in downtown New Orleans at a homeless shelter--one of the largest homeless shelters in the Southeast," Williams said. "That's kind of where I learned how to preach."

In 1999, former coach Tommy Tuberville asked Williams to join the Auburn staff.

Gibbons, who was the campus director of FCA at the time, had referred Williams to Tuberville.

"I think Chette is gifted as a great communicator," Gibbons said. "He is able to really relate to the players and befriend them and lead them and mentor them.

"He is just a very godly man that understands and has a giftedness to get involved in people's lives."

Williams and his wife have three children: Lauren, 14; Caitlyn, 12; and Chette Jr., 11.

"He's a guy that doesn't condemn people," Gibbons said. "He's one of the few preachers I know that just meets people where they are and builds a relationship with them.

"He really tries to relate to their problems and their needs, and then he ministers to them."

Share and discuss “Williams guides players on their spiritual paths” on social media.