'GOTCHA' rides to provide another free taxi service

With the security shuttle, various Auburn taxi services and Toomer's Ten, students have several options for getting home safely.

But by next fall, getting around Auburn day or night will not only be less of a hassle, but better for the environment as well.

Representatives from SGA announced Tuesday night at the Auburn City Council meeting plans to partner with GOTCHA Ride, a free student-run taxi service providing students with safe, eco-friendly rides around town.

GOTCHA Ride is currently available at Florida State University and the University of Florida.

Founded by two FSU graduates, CEO Sean Flood and President Drew Sfugaras, GOTCHA stands for Green Operated Transportation Carrying Humanity Around.

The vehicles run 100 percent on electricity and carry up to five passengers.

"This is the first I've heard of it," said Auburn Mayor Bill Ham. "I think it will be a great service for students."

Auburn plans to have three vehicles with student drivers.

"The program is completely revenue neutral and is costing the University nothing," said Chris Osterlund, SGA administrative vice president.

GOTCHA Ride will sell advertising space to businesses whose ads will wrap each vehicle entirely.

The franchise runs on revenue generated from the advertisements.

"The student drivers will survive solely on tips," Osterlund said.

Osterlund said SGA would provide housing and power for the vehicles.

He said the vehicles will be parked in the parking deck when not in use.

The vehicles' maximum speed is 35 miles per hour.

Osterlund said this limits the roads that the vehicles can be driven on.

He said the city may have to look at changes to the 45 speed marker near Creekside in order for the vehicles to be driven through the area.

The GOTCHA Ride franchise will come to Auburn in June to assist with tranining drivers and managers in order to get the new transportation service started.

GOTCHA Ride will start accepting applications for student drivers within the next 45 days.

Two management positions for graduate students will be available for GOTCHA Ride services in Auburn.

Also discussed at the City Council meeting was the approval for "sidewalk sales" by stores located downtown.

"During special events, merchants are allowed to put their merchandise outside," said assistant city manager Kevin Cowper.

Cowper said sidewalk sales for downtown merchants will run from April 14-17 on A-Day weekend when there are more people walking around downtown.

Sidewalk sales will also take place during graduation weekend, which will be May 6-9 this year, and Thursday through Sunday on home football game weekends.

Also approved at the meeting was the resolution to allow Ham and City Manager Charles Duggan to execute an $89,600 interlocal agreement with Opelika and the Lee County Commission for the Community Oriented Policing Service grant.

Funds for the grant will come from the 2010 COPS Child Sexual Predator Program.

The city will serve as fiscal agents for joint funds used to assist local efforts of agencies to locate registered sex offenders within their jurisdiction and ensure sex offenders comply with registration laws.

Share and discuss “'GOTCHA' rides to provide another free taxi service” on social media.