Graduation moves to stadium

For graduating seniors, the stadium will no longer be a symbol of a perfect season, but a closing of their college careers.

Typically held in the Beard-Eaves Coliseum, this year's graduation will be held in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"When Auburn University used to be in the coliseum, we always had the tradition of allowing graduates to bring as many guests as they like," said Teresa Whitman-McCall director of campus and community events. " When they built the new arena, we lost about 4,000 guest seating. We had to start looking for a new venue."

Whitman-McCall said if they used the arena they would have to limit the amount of guests allowed in, so they started doing research on what other schools have done.

" We thought, 'Other universities use their stadiums, what if we pursue that?'" Whitman-McCall said.

"We did an evaluation on it, and we put it before the Student Government Association with the proposal of one ceremony in the stadium, or four ceremonies over two days in the arena."

SGA polled the students, and it was unanimous to move commencement into the stadium.

With graduation in its new venue, graduates will take part in a two and a half hour ceremony with as many guests as they choose.

Moving graduation into the stadium also minimizes the amount of times the speaker has to present.

"It works better doing it one time, because the speaker only has to speak one time," said Mike Clardy director of communications. "You don't tie them up. They are going through the pre-walk one time."

With the stadium being an outdoor venue, Whitman-McCall said the biggest disadvantage of the venue change is not being able to predict the weather.

"About a week prior to graduation we will began doing an evaluation of severe weather," Whitman-McCall said. "If it looks like we're going to have bad weather, we have to keep our families and our graduates safe, so we would move into the arena, (on graduation day), with a 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock."

Graduates will be given four tickets for guests with their cap and gown in case of severe weather.

Share and discuss “Graduation moves to stadium” on social media.