Soccer ends spring exhibition against Cougars and Owls

The Atlanta Beat showed Auburn a defeat, but the Tigers are ready for a victory.

Auburn will travel to Kennesaw, Ga., to face Columbus State and Kennesaw State April 9.

The Tigers play Columbus State at 1:30 p.m. before playing Kennesaw State at 3 p.m.

"Hopefully we will play well with the same intensity, but hopefully with a better result," said head coach Karen Hoppa.

According to Hoppa, the team took Monday off and will continue the week with practice in offensive positions.

The team will examine mistakes from its game against the Atlanta Beat game and tactics by the opponents.

"We have goals set out for the Columbus and Kennesaw games," said junior defender Heather Havron.

"We are going to take what went well and what did not go well to reach our top performance."

According to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, Columbus State is ranked No. 11.

The Columbus State Cougars hold the titles as Peach Belt Conference Champions, Peach Belt Conference Tournament Champions and NCAA Region Champions.

"We are excited to get back on the field and be successful again," said junior midfielder Katie Frierson. "Both teams are quality teams and will put up a fight."

Kennesaw State finished the 2010 season with 8-8-3 record, but is fresh off of a 4-0 victory against Jacksonville State.

"We are going to continue getting better as a team," Havron said. "If we can get in sync with the team, we can better face the competition in the fall."

According to Frierson, the team will look at all aspects of the Beat game that went well and the mistakes made and apply those to the next game.

The Tigers lost 4-0 against the Atlanta Beat in Birmingham Saturday.

"The scoreboard did not show how hard we worked," Hoppa said. "One big thing we did was we played hard the whole game, even at 4-0."

The Tigers and the Beat played each other in March. The game was also a loss for the Tigers.

"The score was not reflective," said Frierson. "The Beat was much more organized and better than the last time we played them."

According to Frierson, after the Atlanta Beat game, she said the team needs to focus on offense.

"They competed against a professional team," Hoppa said. "For any college team at any level to compete against a team like that is a great accomplishment."

The Atlanta Beat is a professional women's soccer team.

"The Beat is very helpful," Hoppa said. "They expose any mistake made and turn it into a learning tool."

Hoppa commended Havron for her improvement and hard work since the last game.

"Overall, it was a learning experience; we got a lot of pointers," Havron said. "It was a great way to learn how to accomplish goals for the team."

Share and discuss “Soccer ends spring exhibition against Cougars and Owls” on social media.