Trash turned treasure sashays down the runway

Aluminum cans, cardboard boxes and plastic bottles may sound like last week's recycling dropoff, but for Sustain-a-Wear contestants, they make an outfit.

Sponsored by the Auburn Sustainability Action Program, students will compete against each other May 1 in the Student Center ballroom to create the best outfit made of recycled items.

"Sustain-a-Wear offers students the ability to apply themselves and create something that is unique and representative of the recycling movement," said Hunter Morgan, senior in public administration and ASAP president. "It's applied recycling."

Each outfit must be able to stay intact while modeled on the runway in front of a panel of five judges.

At the end of the fashion show, the judges will select a first, second and third place winner.

"They will win a scholarship and a prize package from local Auburn businesses," said Laura Cobb, event coordinator. "We do not have a specific number on scholarships right now...but I requested $500 to $1,000."

Morgan said contestants that show originality and go beyond the judges' and audience's expectations will do well in the competition.

Contestants are encouraged to be as unique as possible, and Cobb said they are allowed to incorporate unconventional fabrics into their outfit such as upholstery, air filters, mats, ribbons, seatbelts and ribbons.

Other fabrics may be used as a lining or backing, but shouldn't be an intricate part of the design.

Cobb said she came up with the idea for Sustain-a-Wear last May.

"I wanted to do it because I'm a fashion major and thought it would be something that someone like me would want to do," Cobb said. "I brought it up with our club, and it has taken off and gotten a good review already."

Contestants must be ready to submit some of their design during registration April 26 in Student Center Room 2225.

Cobb and ASAP will be checking entries to make sure contestants are following the criteria.

"I've already seen some of the designs in work," Cobb said. "I know specific people who have even melted plastic bags together to make fabric using iron to melt it together. I think it would be really cool to see someone use metal and solder it together. It would be heavy, but it would be really interesting to see."

The event will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. with door prizes provided by PINK Nation.

Cobb said she wants to give local businesses the opportunity to show their products during the event.

Although it's Sustain-a-Wear's debut year, Morgan said he hopes to max out the ballroom, but worries it may not be possible in its first year.

"We want to get students out there to it even though it is a Sunday evening right before finals," Morgan said. "We've got a lot of things against us, but hopefully the students will come out and recognize that this is something unique and beneficial."

Next year, Morgan wants to expand participation.

"We want to increase the visibility of Sustain-a-Wear and mainly get people who aren't in the apparel design program involved," Morgan said. "In the first year it is open to all students. As far as I'm aware it's not getting much recognition from students in other disciplines."

Share and discuss “Trash turned treasure sashays down the runway” on social media.