Trying to find the balanced schedule

A few days ago, I sat down to review my schedule for next fall. As I have it laid out, I'll be taking 18 hours of classes in three different disciplines and working two separate jobs.

In a moment of panic, I asked a few people if they thought I could handle it all, and the unanimous answer I received was "no."

This got me thinking.

I'm used to being excessively busy. I get to campus before 8 a.m. every weekday, and I usually don't come home until 10 or 11 p.m. I'm taking two minors on top of my major and working for The Plainsman. Believe it or not, I even have an active social life (most of the time).

I could make it easier on myself if I wanted. I could settle for my one major and take no more than 12 hours every semester. I could have gotten an easier, slower-paced job.

The problem is, I just love it all too much. I am the product of having too many interests and too many ambitions.

There are days when I literally want to tear my hair out, I'll be honest. But when I come home, finish studying and finally collapse in bed for the night, it is with a feeling of accomplishment.

That said, everyone has a breaking point--myself included. I didn't realize it until I started examining my schedule for fall.

Granted, I could probably pull it off physically, and I've gotten pretty good at time management. But for my own peace of mind, I've decided I need to draw a line somewhere.

Maybe I'll drop a class. Maybe I won't take the second job. I'll make ends meet.

The stubborn part of me is still rebelling a little. But upon reflection, I think the real message in, "We don't think you can do it," is, "We don't think you really want to."

And considering that, I think I probably don't.

Like I said, I like being busy. I like pursuing many interests and activities. I like pushing myself.

But I also like my sanity.

I don't think I ever won't be busy. It's not my style. But I think I can handle not being manic, at least for another year or so. Life is too short for that.

Share and discuss “Trying to find the balanced schedule” on social media.