McElroy's powerful swing brings success for Tigers

Shortstop Casey McElroy, junior in RTVF, is up to bat, and he is knocking achievements out of the ball park.

Named Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American in 2008 and a 2010 Cape Cod All-Star, McElroy has continued his success in 2011.

Recently, league coaches have honored him as a First Team All-SEC player.

As one of the leading hitters in the SEC, McElroy shines in several offensive categories.

Overall, he ranks first with 84 hits, fifth with a .370 batting average, sixth with a .555 slugging percentage, fourth with a total of 126 bases and fifth with 52 RBI.

He also ranks in the top percentages with 18 doubles, eight homeruns and six sac flies.

"I owe a lot of it in part to our coaches Link Jarrett and Tom Megahee for working with me and the players all fall and really preparing us for the season and really helping me with my swing and whole offensive approach," McElroy said.

In April, he earned the recognition of SEC Player of the Week after he doubled, hit two homeruns and scored five runs to lead the Tigers to their first series win over Arkansas since 2005.

"It was just one of those weekends where I was just seeing the ball well," he said. "We got a lot of support from the guy sitting in front of me being on base so much. It was just a great weekend. Everything seemed to be clicking."

Another highlight of Casey's performance this season was when he hit a two-run homerun while playing against LSU to help Auburn win its fifth game in row.

"Last year, we had a lot of guys that really led the way to many wins we had," he said. "They're gone this year, so it feels nice to actually be the one to step up and help my team win."

Head coach John Pawlowski said McElroy is an old-school ball player.

"He just shows up every day," Pawlowski said. "He's no frills. He loves to play the game. He's always played the game with a chip on his shoulder, and that's what drives him and makes him the player that he is."

A dark horse in his game, McElroy proves the naysayers wrong.

"He's the undersize. He's not your 6-foot-1, 6-2, 6-7, 6-8 runner," Pawlowski said. "He's a little undersize and one of those guys that I think that certainly drives him. You're looking at him, you're looking at the type of player he is. The numbers bare out the type of player he is. When you look at him as a player, people think he's not that type of player, but he certainly is. I think that's to his advantage."

McElroy said he likes playing with a chip on his shoulder.

"My whole life I've been told I'm not big enough, strong enough or fast enough to play at the next level," he said. "I kind of use that as motivation to maybe prove some of those people wrong."

Cullen Wacker, sophomore left fielder, said McElroy has become a great leader the team depends upon.

"He's a competitor," Wacker said. "He's a bull dog out there on the baseball field. Nothing ever gets in his way. He's really confident and plays with a fire."

McElroy said his dad inspired him to pick up the game.

"He never forced me to play or anything," he said. "It was something I always wanted to do. He would always make time to throw me balls in the backyard or play catch with me,"

Off the field, McElroy is the host of his own show "Hot Seat Saturday," on which he interviews a new baseball player each week.

"It's helped me with my major--getting experience and building a resume," he said.

McElroy said his future plans depend on the upcoming draft.

"If I'm fortunate enough to get drafted and go play pro ball, that'd be awesome," he said. "If not, I'll come back for my senior year and hopefully lead the team to a successful year."

McElroy said the Tigers were prepared for the SEC Tournament.

"It's going to be a great atmosphere in Hoover," he said. "We're going to come into it pretty hungry because we have a lot on the line, and we have to go deep in the SEC Tournament."

Share and discuss “McElroy's powerful swing brings success for Tigers” on social media.