How many roommates is too many?

For Auburn students looking for housing in the fall, Auburn's zoning ordinance contains specific information regarding residential occupancy that incoming students need to be aware of.

"We're trying to get the word out to the incoming freshmen regarding the rules and regulations," said Katie Robison, zoning enforcement officer.

The zoning ordinance, put in place in 1984, says only two unrelated persons can live in a single-family home.

If it is discovered that the rules are violated, the result is a fine or jail time.

"If there is a violation, the homeowner is actually the one that is held responsible," Robison said. "The kids aren't held responsible, but that would also put them in a position where they have to get out of the house and find a new place to live."

Despite single-family homes only allowing two unrelated persons, typical college-student residences allow up to five unrelated individuals to share an address.

"In general, apartment complexes and duplexes and town homes and such are OK," Robison said. "They're zoned for students."

AICP planning director Forrest Cotten said the best places to look for living are in the CDD zone, University Services, RDD and Urban Core.

Cotten said the CDD Zone is the primary area for multi-family dwellings on the outskirts of Auburn. This area includes South College Street and Longleaf Drive.

University Services is housing around campus, Cotten said.Locations are north of campus and extend west down Glenn Avenue and south toward Gay and Burton streets. This is the primary area for multi-family living in the downtown area.

The easiest way to find out if a location is multi-family dwelling is to look at the map on the City of Auburn's website, Cotten said.

"A while back we really enhanced our website so that people could find out," Cotten said. "You can actually bring that map up, and it talks about unrelated occupancy."

Cotten said the website goes into great detail about the places where student-living arrangements are allowed and places where the family-living arrangements are required.

"For someone who's looking for housing or is new to town, I would highly recommend that (website) as a place to educate yourself before you make your housing choice," Cotten said.

Robison said the Auburn Planning Department office is also a good place to gain information on the zoning ordinances.

"I had no idea about the zoning rules," said incoming freshman Robyn Newberry. "I'm glad they're getting the word out and letting people know."

While the Planning Department continues to notify students of correct locations to have multi-family dwellings, Cotten said most local Realtors and leasing agents are also aware of the regulations.

Cotten said neighbors are usually the ones that tip off the department of a violation.

Once a home is considered suspicious, Cotten said city officials will keep a close eye on it for several weeks.

If it's decided there is a violation, the zoning enforcement officer, Robison, will get a search warrant, and accompanied by a police officer, search the house for evidence.

"Obviously, unrelated occupancy violations are very difficult for staff to detect," Cotten said. "They're basically living arrangements. And you can't see those, because they're inside a dwelling."

Robison encourages all students to check the city website before signing a lease to assure the potential residence is zoned correctly.

Share and discuss “How many roommates is too many?” on social media.