Diggin' and Spikin'

Solverson has 725 assists on the women's volleyball team. (Todd Van Emst / Media Relations)

Unlike a lot of collegiate athletes, Christina Solverson's athletic career did not consume her early life. In fact, Solverson, the senior setter for Auburn's volleyball team, did not begin playing the sport until high school, though she quickly excelled.

Solverson gained interest in volleyball after seeing people play on the beach during her vacations to California.

"It was inspiring to me," Solverson said. "Those players were having so much fun out there."

Solverson's inspiration, coupled with encouragement from one of her physical education coaches, landed her a spot on her school's freshman volleyball team. Now the Tucson, Ariz. native is on Auburn's court.

"Christina is a smart player," said Sarah Bullock, junior teammate. "She is a leader on and off the court, and if you have a problem, Christina is the person you go to."

Christina's enthusiasm during play does not go unnoticed by her teammates.

"She always keeps the energy up on the court, which is one of the reasons I love playing with her," Bullock said.

Teammate Katherine Culwell credits Solverson's volleyball success to her great work ethic.

"There are few people I've seen work as hard as she does, especially in the past couple years that I've been here," Culwell said. "Each year you can see the want more and more in her face, and I think that's what makes her such a great athlete and person."

Although far from Arizona, Solverson quickly learned Auburn was easily a place to call home.

"I love the way that we have family here," Solverson said. "I think that's one of the best parts about Auburn, and what makes it one of the most special universities in the country."

As a polymer and fibers engineering major, Solverson is able to balance a rigorous course load with her volleyball schedule while maintaining her spot on the SEC Academic Honor Roll. She also enjoys traveling and has spent time in Europe.

"I got an opportunity to study abroad in Spain my freshman year in college," Solverson said. "I love Europe, and fortunately I was able to go back my sophomore year with my team when we traveled to Italy together to play in a tournament."

With one year left to play volleyball, Solverson has high hopes for this year.

"I think we're going to play very competitively in conference, and definitely make it back to the NCAA tournament," Solverson said.

Solverson led the squad in 2009 with 608 assists and consistently performs as a starter. Heading into her final season, Solverson seeks to encourage her teammates to relish their time left to play volleyball.

"As a senior, it is my job to motivate my teammates and inspire them to play," Solverson said. "They'll understand when they get to that point."

Share and discuss “Diggin' and Spikin'” on social media.