Football team nominated for ESPYs

The ESPY awards have given sports teams and individual athletes from around the globe recognition for outstanding performances over the last 18 years, and this year Auburn University has its name in the spotlight.

The 19th annual ESPY (excellence in sports performance yearly) awards ceremony has nominated Auburn for five awards, with all five potentially going to the national football champions.

The Tigers are nominated for best team and best game, the Iron Bowl. Gene Chizik is nominated for best coach, and Cam Newton is nominated for best breakthrough athlete and best male college athlete.

The Tigers are up against the Dallas Mavericks, Green Bay Packers, San Francisco Giants, Boston Bruins and Texas A&M women's basketball for overall best team.

Gene Chizik is facing NBA head coach Rick Carlisle of the world champion Mavericks and NFL head coach Mike McCarthy, head coach of the world champion Green Bay Packers for title of best coach/manager.

Cam Newton is also in good company, listed next to Jose Bautista and Arian Foster for best breakthrough athlete and Jimmer Fredette and Kemba Walker, just to name a few, for best male college athlete.

Past ESPY winners showcase the talent level of the individual or team that receives the award.

Previous winners for the categories that Auburn is nominated in include Kobe Bryant for best male athlete and the best game award which went to Canada beating the USA in the Olympic hockey championship.

"I'm happy to see that all of our hard work paid off, and people are noticing are efforts," said junior tight end Phillip Lutzenkirchen.

Auburn University has never received an ESPY for a team or individual performance.

"It's an honor to know that our team is nominated for the ESPYs," said senior offensive lineman A.J. Greene. "We have worked hard, not for awards necessarily, but it's nice to know that others are acknowledging our work."

The ESPYs, sponsored by ESPN, are unlike the Grammys or Oscars in that they not only present prestigious awards.

The awards focus on a laid back contribution from comedic skits and entertaining company that uses witty talent to entertain the viewers, such as former host Justin Timberlake.

This year they even will be hosted by Saturday Night Live's Seth Myers.

The ESPY awards will be on air Wednesday July 13 at 9 p.m. from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

Going green is also part of the mission statement during the ESPYs as all of the cooking oil used during the event will be recycled into biodiesel, enough to contribute about 300 miles to a diesel engine.

Fans can vote online and by mobile device via espn.go.com, and voting is open to the public until July 9 at 11:59 p.m.

Share and discuss “Football team nominated for ESPYs” on social media.