McAlpine brings a winning past to AU women's soccer team future

McAlpine stands with the other coaches of the Auburn women's soccer team. (Todd Van Emst / Media Relations)

For coach Keidane McAlpine, the timing was just right.

After serving as head women's soccer coach at Birmingham Southern College for five years, McAlpine packed his bags and headed to Auburn.

"I came to Auburn in 2006," McAlpine said. "It was right about the time that Birmingham Southern was going to Division III. I got a call from Karen Hoppa, head coach of Auburn's women's soccer, saying she needed a new assistant, so the timing worked out for me to keep working towards my goal of being a Division I coach."

Before coming to Auburn, McAlpine spent a number of years at Birmingham Southern as a player, an assistant and finally, a head coach.

McAlpine began playing soccer at BSC in 1992, where he was a four-year starter and captain his senior season. He then served as an assistant coach from 1998-2000 before being hired as head coach in 2001.

As head coach, he led BSC to its only NCAA Division I Tournament appearance and was named 2004 Big South Coach of the Year.

In his five years at Auburn, McAlpine has worked primarily with the midfielders. He has also had his hand in possession attack and assisting Coach Hoppa with the goalkeepers.

McAlpine said his biggest accomplishment so far at Auburn is being able to maintain a high level of play, while mixing his style of play with Coach Hoppa's and still being successful.

"Since I have been here, we have made the national tournament all five times and beaten Alabama all five times we have played them," McAlpine said. "I am just really glad that I was able to bring my style to an already successful program and maintain its success."

McAlpine is known for his cool, yet intense demeanor and is praised by the team for his knowledge of the game.

Amy Berbary, assistant coach, said McAlpine brings a number of good qualities to the team.

"I think he brings a good calmness to the program, though he can be pretty intense," Berbary said. "He is really, really good at breaking down individuals as well as the game itself."

Berbary said it's McAlpine's relationship with the team that makes him special.

"He is really there for all the girls," Berbary said. "He is like their big brother."

Ana Cate, junior midfielder, said McAlpine's coaching methods and experience are good.

"First all, he is really laid back," Cate said. "He tells us what he wants and lets us learn by doing. I think that is really beneficial to the team."

Cate said he provides a different kind of perspective to the team consisting of girls.

"He brings in that testosterone," Cate said. "He played pro soccer, so he brings that experience and that knowledge to the team. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we really enjoy hearing what he has to say."

As for McAlpine, it isn't all about soccer. At least, not always.

McAlpine is part of a music group, Ivory Soul, which currently has 2 albums available on iTunes. McAlpine serves as the vocalist for the group.

McAlpine said he hopes to reach higher goals while at Auburn, although he still hopes to one day reach his goal of becoming a head coach on the Division I level.

"I want us to get to the Sweet 16, Elite 8 levels more consistently while I am here," McAlpine said. "I definitely have my goals, but Auburn makes it difficult to leave."

Share and discuss “McAlpine brings a winning past to AU women's soccer team future” on social media.