Assistant coach Braswell a strong addition to equestrian team

After four years on the Auburn equestrian team, Jessica Braswell is trading her riding boots for a coaching cap.

Braswell is joining the equestrian staff in their pursuit of a third national championship.

Braswell was no stranger to success before becoming hunt seat coach for the nationally ranked team. She led Auburn to a national championship in 2006 as well as a national championship in hunt seat, her specialty, in 2008.

Originally from Richmond, Va., Braswell studied both agricultural economics and Spanish international trade.

Before attending college at Auburn, Braswell showed horses and ponies on the A-Circuit. She also won the Virginia Horse Shows Association championship for best child rider in 2002 and 2004.

After earning her undergraduate degree, Braswell completed her master's in business administration.

During graduate school Braswell stayed close to the team by working as director of operations.

"I am excited to be coming back to a program I believe in," Braswell said. "I was an athlete not too long ago, and I hope I am able to relate to the team and remember what it's like to ride in college."

Braswell's first taste of coaching came Thursday at the team's inner squad meet.

"Her transition into coaching has been so easy," said Lisa Helfer, western discipline coach. "She is a natural coach and the athletes respect her. Thursday night was a great start to the season."

Before securing her positon at Auburn, Braswell worked as a strategist in the proposal management department at CIGNA Healthcare in Hartford, Conn.

Helfer has worked with Braswell for five years and considers her an asset in every position she has served.

"She not only brings with her a wealth of knowledge and experience, but she has a lot of fresh and new ideas to enhance the team," Helfer said. "She is extremely organized, hardworking and dedicated to everything she does."

Coach Greg Williams recruited Braswell six years ago and invited her to work clinics and camps during her years as an athlete and through graduate school.

"I recruited Jess to come to Auburn when she was in high school," Williams said.

Williams then trained Braswell for the four years she rode at Auburn.

"Getting to see Jessica coach these riders--particularly the upper-level ones--was more proof of qualifications than many coaches get to see firsthand when making a hire," Williams said.

"Jessica knows this system, she knows Auburn and what it takes to win in the SEC."

Braswell said she is most excited about the coaching staff working cohesively with the team and not separating to train the girls based on their strengths.

"I was very pleased that the girls were focused and supported each other," Braswell said. "It gave me an idea of how they work in a competitive environment."

The first match of the season will be away at the University of Tennessee at Martin. Braswell said she hopes to help build on the team's existing success.

"Our ultimate goal is another national championship," Braswell said. "But I also want the girls to feel great about what they have done and what they have accomplished--appreciate the University and the environment that they are in."

Share and discuss “Assistant coach Braswell a strong addition to equestrian team” on social media.