Athlete of the Week: Bianca Sierra, dedicated soccer player

Bianca Sierra first put on her first pair of soccer cleats when she was 3 years old.

Her father wanted her to develop footwork skills for a career in basketball, but things didn't turn out the way he planned.

The sophomore in exercise science from Livermore, Calif., headed the ball into the net for a 1-0 win over No. 5 Duke Sept. 2, landing her spots in Soccer America's Team of the Week and Our Game Magazine's Players to Watch list.

Sierra played soccer through her entire prep school career, which would later serve as preparation for her collegiate career.

When it came time to choose a college, she decided to put on the No. 7 jersey for Auburn over several other schools, including Oregon and Texas Christian University.

"I just liked the campus, the coaches, the team chemistry and the whole feel of the Auburn family," Sierra said.

Coach Karen Hoppa said Sierra played in almost every game as a freshman, but has now locked-in a starting position in her sophomore year.

"She's really getting better every game she plays," Hoppa said.

Hoppa also said the team was proud of Sierra making her first career goal against Duke, a win Hoppa said the team felt they deserved.

"It's one she'll never forget," Hoppa said. "Our team is really focused on being great, and Bianca is one of those players."

Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Chandler Hillin said Sierra has been a huge help to the defense and is a reassurance on the field.

"I know she would have my back," Hillin said.

A five-hour flight separates Sierra from her parents and brother.

However, she said the transition from California to Alabama has been easy enough.

"I love it," Sierra said. "It's way different than California in a good way. Everyone is so much nicer."

Even when Sierra is not playing soccer for the Tigers, she is still playing "the beautiful game" with the national women's team of Mexico.

Sierra spent the summer of 2010 in Germany playing against teams from around the world in the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup. Mexico made it as far as the quarterfinals before falling to South Korea.

It was further than Mexico's women's team had advanced in a long time, Sierra said.

Hoppa said Sierra isn't the first Auburn player to also play for a national team.

"It's a great honor to represent your country," Hoppa said. "We're very supportive of her playing for Mexico because it is such a great opportunity, and it makes her a better player."

Sierra and the Tigers return home to the Auburn Soccer Complex Friday night after tying Colorado and defeating Denver 2-1 in a tournament last weekend in Denver.

Friday's game is a conference match against Kentucky (7-1) and will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Athlete of the Week: Bianca Sierra, dedicated soccer player” on social media.