Equestrian begins season with victory, seeks lasting success

The Auburn equestrian team set a positive tone for the start of its fall season Sunday after defeating the University of Tennessee at Martin riders in their hometown 13-5.

The Tigers won all four events, pushing them ahead to earn MVP honors in each category against the Skyhawks.

Auburn secured the equitation event after a 4-1 turnover.

Auburn freshman Jennifer Delman earned MVP of equitation after defeating Elizabeth Gay, 87-77. Senior Grace Socha defeated Hunter Ralston, 84-74; junior Anna Becker beat Kaylan Herbst, 87-81; and junior Lindsay Portela outscored Kara Bergenty, 80-77.

"Well, I've thought our practices have been good at home and it seems as though that was supported today," said coach Greg Williams. "These girls came in with a lot of energy, and they never let up. We are off to a great start."

Senior Maggie McAlary was awarded MVP honors after defeating Brittany Kasprack, 87-74, helping her team claim a 6-3 win in equitation over fences.

In a family reunion, Kara Bergenty of UT-Martin beat Auburn's Coryn Bergenty, 79-75, and Christina Lin beat Caroline Cramer, 85-80.

Both Socha and McAlary were awarded MVP titles in the previous season's championship game, making them forces to watch out for in the current season.

The Tigers also won the horsemanship category, 4-1.

Freshman Katsy Leeman earned MVP after defeating Heidi Grimm, 76-68.5.

Freshman Danielle Long beat Michelle Chullock, 76-74.5, while Chelsea Zilner overtook Laurel Ellzey, 76.5-70.5. Freshman Katie Buff outshined Candice Fulcher, 73.5-70.5.

With a developing score of 7-2, Auburn took reining.

First, MVP junior Indy Roper beat Michelle Chullock, 75.5-70.5.

Following her success, sophomore Stephanie Rucci outscored Carly Lamb, 73-68.5, while sophomore Cheyenne Cracraft beat Amy Guenther, 71.5-65.5.

The Tigers finished off their 2011 season with a national championship after defeating the then-No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs for the hunt seat title 6-2 April 16.

"The biggest thing to me is how your team comes together," Williams said. "I love to win, I always have. It's just part of my nature."

They also finished the season with two other titles after outscoring the Bulldogs for the SEC Championship title and the hunt seat national championship title.

"We are not only pleased with wins in both huntseat and western, but with sweeping all four MVPs as well," Williams said.

The Tigers return to action when they host Texas Christian University Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Auburn University Horse Center.

Share and discuss “Equestrian begins season with victory, seeks lasting success” on social media.