Orange Jumpsuit Guys keep Tiger stomachs full at tailgate

The Orange Jumpsuit Guys celebrate an Auburn victory while tailgating by Lupton Hall. (CONTRIBUTED)

When the Auburn family walks out of Jordan-Hare Stadium each Saturday, they might stumble upon a popular tailgate located on the Quad behind Lupton Hall.

The tailgate has college guys decked out in orange jumpsuits, a smoking-hot grill and two flat-screen TVs playing college football games.

These are the Orange Jumpsuit Guys who run The College Kids Tailgate.

Looking to start a tradition of their own, Auburn freshmen Kevin Johnson, Garrett Cheney, Brandon Campbell, Michael Nunnelly and Kevin McArthur came together in 2007 and decided to host a tailgate.

Because several members of the group lived in Lupton Hall, the grass behind the building was the perfect location for their gameday activity.

The group had no clue that such a small idea would generate such a massive following in so short amount of time.

"We were freshmen and didn't have anywhere to hang out on gameday," Johnson said. "The first week we had about 15-20 people and used my friend's grill and set up a TV as well. Now we serve about 400-500 students a week.

"We were just looking to find a place and build community and relationships. It's a great place where people can hang out and get to know each other."

Thursdays before home games, the Orange Jumpsuit Guys start off their tailgating process by having a group meeting at Lakeview Baptist Church on East Glenn Avenue to discuss what provisions they will need for the weekend. They then head for a dinner of pizza and soda at Sam's Club to purchase the supplies, usually filling four jumbo carts.

The supplies include burger patties, Dale's Seasoning Sauce, fruit snacks, cookies and sodas. They pack the items in a trailer and reconvene Friday and Saturday mornings to prepare for the upcoming gameday.

Johnson and Cheney talked about their favorite memories from being Orange Jumpsuit Guys.

In fall 2009 against West Virginia, the entire group was soaked from the torrential downpour that passed through Auburn that day. Although wet, they said they were happy because they were all rooting for the Tigers.

The 2009 Iron Bowl had a Christmas theme at the tailgate, with lights around the tent enhancing the holiday feel.

In 2008 Auburn faced off against UGA, and the guys wore the jumpsuits to keep warm on the fall afternoon. Since that game the guys have worn their suits to every game when the temperature drops.

The current leaders of the Orange Jumpsuit Guys are Luke Hasha, junior in mechanical engineering, and Ben Mahaffey, junior in entrepreneurship.

"Setting up the tailgate and that boot camp atmosphere brings a guy together with another guy," Mahaffey said. "There is nothing like getting up at 5 a.m. and getting in line at 6:15 and leading the other students in a cheer.

"There is nothing like stepping back and looking at these 30 guys on an Auburn football Saturday, helping to provide this tailgate for everyone."

The group works to serve others as a way to serve Christ. While the tailgate is not connected with any church or denomination, the guys enjoy serving others as their own work and as a way to thank God for all the blessings in their lives.

"This experience is fulfilling for us, and it's meaningful. We aren't just serving people for today," Hasha said.

"Once, a few students commented on how awesome it was that Christian guys were running the tailgate. I thought that was really cool."

Share and discuss “Orange Jumpsuit Guys keep Tiger stomachs full at tailgate” on social media.