Equestrian gallops to 3-0

The Auburn equestrian team claimed a close 1486-1444.5 tiebreak victory over South Carolina Saturday afternoon after the Gamecocks met the Tigers 10-10 in event results.

"It was very much a team victory," said coach Greg Williams. "We've been so strong in practices, I really was kind of hoping we were going to have a more convincing win. It always comes down to this with South Carolina. I don't know what it is. When we go there, we seem to raise up to a whole new level and when they come here, they do the same thing. We're both good teams. I have to give them a lot of credit. They're good and well-coached."

The Tigers fell to the Gamecocks 2-3 (376-371) in equitation after Carolyn Curcio beat senior Maggie McAlary 78-77. Preceding the loss, junior Anna Becker beat Kelsey Hart 77-74 and sophomore Christina Lin overcame Colvin Hedgepeth 75-65.

"I competed over fences and on the flat, and I think I would like to work on my over fences a little bit--my position and just trying to be a little bit more accurate," Lin said.

Auburn claimed a 3-2 (407-385) win against South Carolina in equitation over fences as sophomore Jennifer Waxman took an impressive 83-68 lead over Alex Arute. McAlary beat Paige Dekko 87-77 before sophomore Quincy Hayes defeated Amber Henter 79-78.

"Most of the hunt seat rides were OK," Williams said. "A few things could have changed, but we've got to stay out of the penalties in western. I think that's probably going to be the hardest thing we'll address. There were a couple of times where we did create out own holes and South Carolina capitalized them."

South Carolina claimed horsemanship 3-2 (355.5-354.5). Sophomore Stephanie Rucci outscored Samantha Chiodo 66-61, and junior Indy Roper trumped Katie Kopf 74.5-68.5.

Auburn took reigning 3-2 (347.5-334) after sophomore Cheyenne Cracraft pushed for a 70-66.5 lead over opponent Melody Malbin. Roper outscored Jordan Brown 69.5-62.5 and senior Kristen Hansen defeated Annie Lauren McDonald, 74.5-67.

"I had struggled a little bit in the horsemanship," Hansen said. "I was kind of angry about that. I came back in reigning a little bit stronger and just took my time. I was really happy with my ride."

The 10-10 tie proved too much for the Gamecocks, losing to the Tigers 1486-1444.5 in raw points at the Tigers' conference opener.

Lin took MVP in equitation, while Hansen took MVP in both horsemanship and reining.

"I'm excited," Lin said. "It was a nice award. (South Carolina) was a really hard school to beat, so it feels extra special."

The Tigers return to action at home Oct. 21 at 3 p.m. against Kansas State University.

Share and discuss “Equestrian gallops to 3-0” on social media.