Equestrian talent leads to wins

Sophomore Quincy Hayes competes in equitation over fences against TCU Saturday. (Alex Sager / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

The defending national champion equestrian team is preparing to face SEC opponent South Carolina at the Auburn University Horse Center at 10 a.m. Saturday.

Both teams hold an identical record at 2-0.

"They are riding extremely well," said coach Greg Williams. "We are just continuing on. We still have to go all the way into spring. When SEC schools compete, you don't have to say much to the girls."

Auburn has been led by the riding of two women so far this season: hunt seat rider Maggie McAlary, senior in communication, and western rider Indy Roper, junior in communication.

McAlary and Roper took home honors and victories in meets against University of Tennessee at Martin and Texas Christian University.

The Tigers have two other top athletes in hunt seat rider Christina Lin, sophomore in international business, and western rider Stephanie Rucci, sophomore in business.

Lin and Rucci were keys in Auburn's victory against TCU Saturday.

"I think we need to work on the fly," Lin said. "As a team we need to compete against one of the tougher schools in South Carolina. We all did really well this weekend, but we need to step up to the plate even more next weekend."

Coach Boo Major heads the Gamecock squad. Major has 50 overall victories in his 14 years with the Gamecocks and 17 total victories at equestrian national championships. South Carolina is second in the nation for overall victories.

The Gamecocks boast talent with their equitation riders junior Kimberly McCormack and freshman Katherine Schmidt.

McCormack won by a 21-point margin against Fresno State in her first equitation competition of the season.

Schmidt won most valuable player honors in equitation over fences against Fresno State.

The Tigers swept the set of meets against the Gamecocks last season. Auburn won 1472-1469 in a tiebreaker last October in Blythewood, S.C.

The second competition, held at home, was decided by a final score of 10-9.

Roper was successful in the horsemanship portion of the meet, while McAlary won in the equitation over fences competition.

Coach Williams and the squad encourage the Auburn fanbase to come out and support the team in this SEC contest.

The team is holding a tailgate challenge at the South Carolina meet.

Nonstudent organization winners will be rewarded an Auburn tailgate tent and two chairs.

For student organizations, first place will receive 75 spirit points and an "Auburn Family All In" sign autographed by the team.

Second place will receive 50 spirit points, and third place will receive 25 spirit points.

Each tailgate will be judged on food, name, size, atmosphere and its support for Auburn.

Share and discuss “Equestrian talent leads to wins” on social media.