Sanz gets into swing of things

Sophomore golfer Marta Sanz was named Golfweek's player of the week. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

Marta Sanz didn't believe she had won.

Finishing 9 under par at the Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, N.C., Oct. 7-9, Sanz finished one stroke ahead of three other competitors in her victory.

Sanz was named GolfWeek's National Golfer of the Week for her performance.

"I didn't believe I won that tournament," Sanz said. "It took me a few days to realize it, but being named golfer of the week was unbelievable."

Sanz grew up in Spain, but the pressure of playing in the United States is unlike anything she experienced in Europe.

"It's a completely different level," Sanz said. "We have really good players in Spain, but we've never played team-wise like in the U.S. Courses are completely different. The pressure of the tournaments is way bigger than in Europe."

Sanz's sister Patricia is a senior on the team, which is a big reason why Marta came to Auburn.

"My sister was here, and coach was recruiting me," Sanz said. "Of all the offers I had, this was the best one."

Marta's father began taking her and her sister golfing for fun when she was 5 years old.

Last season Sanz was named to the SEC All-Freshman team and tied for 58th in the same tournament she won last week. Sanz credits Auburn's facilities and practice regime as an important part of her success.

"I've gotten a lot stronger," Sanz said. "Probably the best thing right now is my chipping. We have a great area down here in Auburn, and that's probably my best right now."

After having two consecutive individual winners--Carlie Yadloczky won the season-opening "Mo" Morial and Sanz winning at the Tar Heel Invitational--the Lady Tigers hope to carry that momentum into the Pac 12/SEC Challenge this weekend in Knoxville, Tenn.

"There's 24 teams in the tournament," Sanz said. "It's kind of like a pre-national championship. We're playing to win it. For an individual, I just want to play the best I can for the team. If I win individual, that would be awesome."

Sanz is used to competing under pressure from winning the Spanish National Championship in doubles with her sister where they won on a one-hole playoff. Sanz said that is her favorite memory outside of playing for Auburn, but facing Alabama in the SEC Tournament was one of her favorite memories as a Tiger.

Sanz has a simple goal for the rest of the season.

"I want to be an All-American and win nationals."

Share and discuss “Sanz gets into swing of things” on social media.