Your View: Please keep Auburn looking lovely

Auburn won the game against Florida, but they lost at keeping the city respectably clean.

I'm not talking about rolling the Toomer's oaks here, but the surrounding businesses and sidewalks. I work at a bookstore here in town, and Sunday morning my co-worker and I were faced with the daunting task of cleaning up a very messy parking lot.

Now, cleaning the parking lot is a normal thing for us to do, but after filling the fifth bag, it was apparent that Auburn cannot win and celebrate in a respectable manner. We are said to be "the Loveliest Village on the Plains," but Sunday morning we were the trashiest village on the Plains.

After picking up beer cans, beer bottles, empty pizza boxes and countless McDonald's wrappers, it was apparent that I was picking up all of this trash after grown adults.

Sure, Auburn won, but there's no sense in turning Auburn into a giant trash can because of it. Celebrate, but don't leave your trash in the parking lot of a closed business, who, note, is nice enough to not tow your car while you're rolling Toomer's.

So, I ask Auburn fans this: after winning the Ole Miss game, keep your city clean and use trash cans. We want everyone who sees our city to know without a doubt that this is "the Loveliest Village on the Plains."

Kayla Strickland

junior, secondary English education

Share and discuss “Your View: Please keep Auburn looking lovely” on social media.