Your view: Disappointed and embarrassed

Plainsman staff, I usually greatly enjoy the humorous and informative articles in Auburn's esteemed newspaper, but a recent cover story has both disappointed and embarrassed me.

The cover story in the November 3rd issue that headlined "Tigers take it off for Playboy" celebrates an aspect of campus life that Auburn University should not be proud of.

While the decisions to pose for Playboy, however distasteful, are completely the choices of the women involved, the story itself should not be highlighted on the front page of our school newspaper.

This cover story reflects poorly on our beloved university, and I am disappointed that you would choose to spotlight such a shaming story that defiles Auburn's reputation.

As a Student Recruiter, I often point out The Plainsman on my tours and encourage future tigers and their parents to pick up a copy for their enjoyment, but with cover stories such as this one, however, I am embarrassed to point out the newspaper that normally receives an ample amount of praise from its readers.

I am extremely hesitant now to promote the paper to prospective families and will not support a paper that does not consider how its articles portray its own school.

I, along with almost any other Auburn student that you ask, care deeply about this university and strive to uphold the classy, hospitable, and appropriate reputation that we have as a student body.

I am not asking you to exclude stories such as the Playboy story, but I only ask that you think about the image that you present of our excellent university on the cover page of your newspaper and work with us to represent Auburn as the tasteful and refined university that it is.

Sincerely, An Embarrassed Recruiter

Brittany Carmack

junior, English, Spanish

Share and discuss “Your view: Disappointed and embarrassed” on social media.