Your view: ESPN film paints odd picture of Alabama

I am not sure how many people watched the ESPN film "Roll Tide/War Eagle," but after watching, I didn't know exactly how I felt about the show.

ESPN depicted the Auburn family as an upper-class, wealthy, well-educated group of individuals that do care about Auburn Football, but also care about what does happen at the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa.

On the flip side of that, the film depicted the Alabama fan base as being very much like Harvey Updyke. Not well-educated or having not attended the university itself, caring more about Alabama and its football team than themselves or anyone else and expecting the university and football team to support its fan base, regardless of how they act.

I personally felt that Updyke had too much time face time on that film, but then again, we can all see why Updyke has gone through four attorneys thus far. Every time that man would open his mouth, I thought "Can he say anything else that will make him look more guilty and an idiot?" The same feelings were expressed by my father, who lives in Southern California and whose only affiliation to Auburn is that I am enrolled at Auburn University.

I am not entirely sure as to what the ESPN film was supposed to prove, but the film did say, to myself and my father, that while Auburn is the underdog in the state of Alabama, here at Auburn we care for others just as much as we care for the Auburn family, and the film made the University of Alabama look like the "bad guy" in the rivalry.

I know that the Iron Bowl will be an afternoon game shown on CBS and it will be a big game after everything that has happened in the past few years between the two schools, but let's help show the nation that will be watching Nov. 26 that the Auburn family does care about what happened in Tuscaloosa back in April, and this is just a football game.

We are not angry at UA for Toomer's, just an individual. And at the game, we will refrain from making signs that say otherwise. War Eagle!

Tim Penix

president, Global Tigers Peer Advisory

Share and discuss “Your view: ESPN film paints odd picture of Alabama” on social media.