Auburn softball defeats Wright State, Bowling Green

The Auburn softball team swept the second day of the Tiger Invitational Friday as it defeated Wright State 12-4 and Bowling Green 10-2 at Jane B. Moore Field.

The wins put the team at 3-0 just two days into the four-day tournament.

Senior catcher Elizabeth Eisterhold provided the firepower for Auburn. She hammered in five RBIs on three home runs for the day.

"We're just getting a feel for where we're at, getting good team chemistry out there, and it's working well so far, getting good hits, putting the hits together and scoring a lot of runs," Eisterhold said.

Auburn started slow against Wright State, ending the first inning 3-1 down. The Tigers then scored seven unanswered runs over the next four innings to take the lead and earn their second straight win.

Auburn did not give Bowling Green the chance to lead, opening the game with freshman outfielder Branndi Melero batting preseason All-SEC team selection Morgan Estell on a line drive double to right field. Eisterhold would then hit her third home run of the day to make it 3-0 after the first inning.

The second inning remained the same as Melero brought two home on a deep-shot off the right-field wall. Senior shortstop Lauren Guzman then scored on a bunt single to give the Tigers a 7-0 lead.

Bowling Green changed pitchers twice during the five-inning game, attempting to hinder the Auburn hitters.

However, with one out at the top of the third, Guzman again bunted in a run, allowing Estell to score. This gave Auburn a 10-0 lead to seal the game.

"They were a pretty good team," said Eisterhold. "We just came out hard as opposed to our first game today where we let them get ahead a little bit."

The Tigers began this season with 10-straight home games.

"It's really good playing at home because we have home field advantage," Melero said. "We have all our fans, and we have everyone here to support us. It's really a blessing being able to (start the season) at home."

The Tigers will end the tournament playing Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne Saturday at 12:30 p.m. and Appalachian State Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

For the players, this tournament is just a warm-up for next weekend's SEC/ACC/Big 12 Challenge where they will face No. 5 Oklahoma and No. 11 Oklahoma State.

"This is good practice for next weekend," said Eisterhold. "I feel like next weekend we're going to have a lot better pitching on the opponent's end, so this is good preparation."

Melero, who ended the day with six RBIs, agrees.

"I feel like we're ready," said Melero. "We're going to come out strong, and we're all ready to just get out there, win, and keep winning."

Share and discuss “Auburn softball defeats Wright State, Bowling Green” on social media.