Gators edge out Auburn gymnastics

The No. 17 Auburn gymnastics team hosted the second ranked University of Florida in Auburn Arena Friday. The arena was filled with orange as Auburn scored 196.875 overall points--the second-highest in school history--but the Tigers fell short of Florida's score of 197.500.

"It was a really good night for us," said coach Jeff Graba. "We put that West Virginia meet behind us and we came out and hung with a tremendous team."

Auburn set season-high scores on the vault, beam and bar. Freshman Bri Guy won best all-around with the highest combined score from all four events, scoring 39.550 points to tie with three others for the third-highest total in Auburn history.

"I couldn't be happier right now," Graba said. "We're still not as strong as I think we're going to be."

Auburn's next competition is Feb. 24 at the University of Kentucky. Graba said next week's practices will help the team focus on its upcoming meet.

"This week was a really good week of practice," he said. "We've got to continue to build on this." With only seven seniors on the team of 17, Graba said there is room for growth.

"This team is just now starting to get its legs and figure itself out," Graba said. "With so many young ones and new people, it's been a bit of a mix-and-match for the first five or six weeks. We're finally settling in and figuring out who we are, so I'm expecting us to keep doing stuff like this."

Auburn gymnastics will be back on the plains March 2 competing against Southern Utah University. The meet will begin at 7 p.m. in the Auburn Arena.

Share and discuss “Gators edge out Auburn gymnastics” on social media.