Shields' personality livens team spirits

Senior Kylie Shields won best all-around for her preformance in the Georgia meet Jan. 21. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Kylie Shields seems to use laughter as punctuation to every sentence.

"It's really fun just flying around in the air," said Shields, senior who competes in all-around dynamic gymnastics. "That's why I originally started because it was like the closest thing to simulating flying in the air."

The personality of the 5-foot-2-inch gymnast may be welcoming and warm, but the Mahopac, N.Y., native knows how to succeed on the gymnastics floor.

Shields was best all-around at the team's meet against Georgia Jan. 20 and continues to lead the team as the team speaker and role model.

Freshman Megan Walker described how the senior made her feel welcome when she recently joined the team.

"With Kylie, your first day here, all of us as freshman, you're a friend," Walker said. "You never have to go through that awkward, get-to-know-you stage because she just pretty much automatically understands you."

Shields has lived and breathed gymnastics since she was 4.

She originally started because she wanted to follow in the steps of her older sister, Allison.

"I had all this energy and my mom's like, 'You know what? Go!'" Shields said. "And so I went in the gym, and it was just this bug that caught onto me, and I didn't want to let go."

The bug turned out to be a lifelong passion, as Shields decided to make it her focus and continue in college. Even though gymnastics is a demanding sport, Shields said she wouldn't give up the experience for anything.

"It's those moments," Shields said, "that stuck landing, the eruption of the crowd when you do a great routine and just the pride that I feel in knowing that I can flip two times before I touch the ground."

Shields said it's important for her to be consistent with her teammates on and off the floor.

"It's about trying to bring out that full potential in other people, letting them know that you care about them," she said.

Despite the attention, Shields said it's important to be genuine and team focused "because other people's lives are just as important as mine."

Coach Jeff Graba said Shields continues to display consistency on and off the floor.

"On the floor, she's a tremendous competitor," Graba said. "She's very focused. She's very aggressive about her gymnastics."

The senior still has another year to enjoy the Auburn Arena, as she's staying a fifth year to finish her degree in health promotion. However, this year is the last she is eligible to compete for Auburn.

Shields said she tries to live by the same advice she gives to younger dreamers.

"Work hard, stay focused and do what you love," she said.

Share and discuss “Shields' personality livens team spirits” on social media.