Women's basketball lose to Arkansas

The Auburn Tiger Women's Basketball team fell to the Arkansas Razorbacks 51-48 Sunday afternoon. Auburn improves to 11-15 overall and 3-10 in the SEC. Arkansas now stands at 19-5 overall and 8-4 in the SEC. Sunday's victory gave Arkansas a regular-season sweep against Auburn.

Sunday's game was designated a Pink Zone Breast Cancer Awareness game. Alfa Insurance gave away pink T-shirts to the first 500 fans in attendance and donated $1 for each of the first 5,000 fans that walked through the arena doors. The proceeds will benefit the Montgomery-based Joy to Life Foundation.

"The Pink Zone game is an important day in terms of bringing awareness to a disease that affects everyone today, and that is breast cancer," said Auburn coach Nell Fortner. "I think we have all been touched by a family member or friend or co-worker that has had to fight their battle with this. So, this 'Think Pink' is just a total awareness to continue raising funds for research and total awareness of the importance of early detection."

Sophomore guard Camille Glymph led the Tigers with 10 points and three assists in 28 minutes, which included a running three-point jump shot as the first half buzzer sounded to give Auburn the lead.

"We were prepared. We knew a lot of their plays from scout, and I just feel like we've grown as a team since then," said Glymph. "We fought really hard, but in the end a lot of shots just weren't falling in for us, and they took it away from us."

Junior Arkansas post player Sarah Watkins finished with 14 points and eight rebounds in 37 minutes. Watkins hit a short-jump shot with 32 seconds remaining in the second half that put Arkansas in the lead 49-47.

Auburn sophomore guard Tyrese Tanner went to the free throw line with five seconds remaining. Tanner converted on the first, but missed the second. Arkansas nailed two more free throws on the other end to seal the victory.

Auburn will head to Baton Rouge to face the LSU Tigers Feb. 19. The game will begin at 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball lose to Arkansas” on social media.