Your view: GOP giving Obama best chance in re-election bid

The most outrageous and captivating reality TV show in the past few months has not concerned itself with the shores of New Jersey, but with the campaign trail of the GOP. Every day now the show seems to get better and better--or is that worse and worse?

In recent weeks, I have often talked over the results and developments of the latest political circus with friends who usually reach the conclusion that I am displaying an air of demonstrability when I predict Obama won't be checking out of the House ahead of schedule. I will admit there have been moments when my convictions on the issue have been shaken, only to be stirred again by another rash statement here or gaffe there by whoever may be that day's frontrunner.

The latest statements by the field--especially from the Santorum camp--about education, Obama's supposed radical worldview, marriage equality and women's reproductive rights are not only ugly and embittered, but flat out wrong and stupid. Though everyone has their favorite ridiculous remark those in the race have made about the recent debate on contraception and women's health, a debate that is curiously lacking in those with a uterus, the award for most anachronistic and backwards must go to Foster Friess, Santorum's personal moneyman. Last week Friess said, "Back in my day they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives; the gals put it between their knees and it wasn't that costly."

And of course, there is the issue of Romney's robotic nature and out-of-touch-ness, punctuated last week by his awkward avowals of love for his home state ("The trees are the right height." he said).

I don't pretend to be an expert on electoral politics, but it seems to me imprudent to pick a fight over social issues, especially contraception, the use of which the majority of Americans support, during an election year.

It is true that the brewing brawl with Iran or some other unforeseen event might do damage to Obama's re-election chances, but for the moment I stand by my prediction.

My confidence rests not primarily on the economy's month-by-month recovery (which does greatly improve Obama's chances), but on the view that the opposition candidates are so thor-oughly flawed, reactionary and absurd that when faced with the voting booth decision, many independents will make that oft-talked about "lesser of two evils" choice, recalling in their heads episode after episode of the latest TV train wreck.

Zachary Welman

freshman, English, philosophy

Share and discuss “Your view: GOP giving Obama best chance in re-election bid” on social media.