Tigers prep for tourney

Sophomore guard/forward Tyrese Tanner drives to the basket in their win against Alabama. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

As the SEC Tournament approaches, part two of the college basketball season begins.

March Madness officially kicks off with conference tournaments.

The Auburn Tigers' first-round SEC Tournament matchup is against the Florida Gators in Nashville's Bridgestone Arena Thursday at 12 p.m.

"The kids are excited--they know that we have not reached our potential at this point," said Auburn coach Nell Fortner. "We believe we can reach our potential and this is our opportunity to go do that. They are highly motivated right now."

Florida's women's basketball team is 2-1 in its last three games, and the Gators defeated Auburn 70-56 in the regular season Feb. 9.

Auburn turned the ball over 22 times in that contest, and Florida capitalized on those mistakes by going on a 19-2 scoring run to topple the Tigers.

"We played them before, and we just didn't click," said sophomore guard Hasina Muhammad. "We will get the scouting, we will get the film and we will go over plays and that's how it works out."

Fortner recently announced her resignation, which came as a surprise to both the program and the Auburn community.

A ceremony was held for Fortner featuring a video from her team after the Ole Miss game Feb. 26.

"It was just really nice," Fortner said. "I look forward to going back and seeing it again, They said there was a whole lot more and they couldn't get it all in that tape, so I look forward to seeing it.

"You never know what kind of impact you make on people. You don't ever know. This is a special place. I've loved every minute of being here, so it's nice to know that you've made a difference here."

Muhammad said Fortner helped the team develop not only as players, but as people.

"She keeps it real with you," Muhammad said. "She lets you know right on spot when things need to be done. She has taught me a lot and has helped me get to another level."

But to reach the next level, the Tigers must get past the Gators.

"Florida's good\0xAD. I think they are one of the better teams in the conference even though they finished eighth," Fortner said.

With all the ups and downs of this season, Fortner believes Auburn will be up to the task during the SEC Tournament against Florida.

"There is nothing I have to do to get them motivated," Fortner said. "I just need to get them focused to understand the game plan. They are ready for it."

Share and discuss “Tigers prep for tourney” on social media.