Tigers pull far ahead of Hornets Wednesday night

The Auburn Tigers improved to 6-4 on the season after beating the Alabama State Hornets 12-4 at Plainsman Park.

Freshman Trey Cochran-Gill became the second Auburn freshman pitcher to earn a win, giving up only four hits and one run in three innings. Freshman pitcher Rocky McCord also saw the mound, playing three innings, striking out four, giving up five hits and allowing three runs.

Right fielder Jay Gonzalez continued to contribute to the offensive column for the Tigers, earning another triple and three RBIs, after getting two triples in last night's game against the Hornets. The main offensive factor for the Tigers was senior Creede Simpson, who led the Tigers with five RBIs after getting a hit and walking twice.

Zach Alvord, Dan Glevenyak and Ryan Tella each had two hits, with Tella also batting in a runner.

One glaring problem the Tigers face is the amount of batters left on base. In tonight's game fifteen runners were stranded for Auburn, which Simpson described as a "problem we've had all season thus far."

Simpson went on to say that the Tigers had to focus on "getting the big hit" and bringing those stranded runners home.

The Tigers totaled 12 hits, 11 RBIs and had 15 batters walked in tonight's win.

Auburn hosts a tournament starting Friday, bringing in Purdue, Charleston Southern and Southern Mississippi. The Tigers face Purdue this Friday at 6 p.m. at Plainsman Park, with ace Derek Varnadore looking to rebound against the Boilermakers after suffering a loss against Arizona.

Share and discuss “Tigers pull far ahead of Hornets Wednesday night” on social media.