Former women's golfers qualify for U.S. Open

The U.S. Women's Open will feature two former Auburn Tigers among a field of great female golfers. Auburn graduates Haley Wilson and Cydney Clanton both qualified for the tournament this summer.

Wilson, a 20-year-old native of Ft. Mitchell Ala., qualified for the Women's U.S. Open last week. She earned one of the three spots at her regional qualifier at the Oaks Club in Osprey, Fla. She posted rounds of 72 and 76 for a total of 148 to make the Open.

"It was an awesome feeling [to qualify]," Wilson said. "Golf is what I love, and I'm ready to step up on the big stage."

Clanton, a 22-year-old from Concord NC, qualified a week before Wilson. Clanton tied for second at her regional qualifier with a two round score of 143 at the Dunwoody Country Club in Dunwoody, Ga.

Clanton graduated in 2011 with a degree in finance, and is currently a member of the LPGA tour. During her time at Auburn, she had an award filled career. Some of her top honors include being named as a 2011 NGCA Second-Team All-American, and the All-SEC First Team.

The ladies were both key parts of the Auburn women's golf team, and Head Coach Kim Evans wished them only the best in their bright futures.

"They were great players for Auburn," Evans said. "I know they will continue to be great."

When Evans was asked to give advice to the ladies she simply said, "They're veteran players... they know what they're doing."

With confidence like that coming from the coach, it's no wonder these young ladies have made it to the grand stage in women's golf.

Wilson, who will be making her entrance into the LPGA Tour, did not have the jitters a normal 20-year-old would.

"I feel really confident," Wilson said. "My game is getting better every day."

The young ladies will have some stiff competition, including the best female golfers in the world, but Wilson is not letting that fact change here game.

"My goal is to win, and I think I'm prepared to do that, Wilson said"

Wilson clearly had no lack of confidence, and felt that she was well prepared for the big stage thanks in large part to Auburn.

"You get to play a lot of different courses while playing for Auburn," Wilson said, "and that has prepared me for what's coming next."

While Wilson has not had any experience on the LPGA Tour to speak of, Clanton has played her share of tournaments since graduating from Auburn.

Clanton has not won a tournament yet, but has a top ten finish.

With her training coming from Auburn where graduates are notorious for doing well professionally, it can only be a matter of time for her victory. She's certainly hoping that it's at the Open.

The U.S. Women's Open Championship will be held July 5-8 at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wisc.

Share and discuss “Former women's golfers qualify for U.S. Open” on social media.